Interpretations of OS Concern

From various resources I’ve compiled my interpretations of the OS Concern elements. The descriptions can be altered, for example the negative form, … . I thought I’d share this list with you for its validation and inspiration maybe.

• The Past: what has happened in the past, what brought them here. The choices from the past are part of the inequity in this story (the Protagonist may have to revisit choices he thought were behind him)

• The Present: their current situation, their current status. Their present situation is part of the inequity in this story (the Protagonist’s current situation isn’t very stable.)

• How Things Are Changing (Progress): their strengths and weaknesses in the context of what is happening. Their grasp (limited or otherwise) on the current situation is part of the inequity in this story (something the Protagonist is doing is causing problems)

• The Future: what can potent­ially happen and how that may affect their situation, status. The uncertainty of the future is part of the inequity in this story (the Protagonis is worried about how things that are currently happening will affect its future.)

• Gathering Information (Learning): that what is going on. Their limited understanding is part of the inequity of this story (the Protagonist needs to get reliable information.)

• Unders­tanding: Their current understanding of what’s going on is part of the inequity in the story (the Protagonist needs to face the music.)

• Doing: their actions are part of the inequity in this story (the Protagonist needs to get its act together.)

• Obtaining: There’s something missing. Something they don’t have is part of the inequity in the story (the Protagonist needs to go on a mission.)

• Conceiving an idea: their desire for change is part of the inequity in this story (the Protagonist needs to change the status quo.)

• Developing a plan (Conceptualizing): the desire to act is part of the inequity in this story (the Protagonist needs to decide.)

• Playing a role (Being): active manipulation is part of the inequity in this story (the Protagonist needs to stand its ground.)

• Changing one’s nature (Becoming): The manipulation has worked. Previous manipulation is part of the inequity in this story (the Protagonist needs to adapt.)

• Contemplation (Conscious): Reflections are part of the inequity in this story (the Protagonist may do something, some day.)

• Memories: Recollections are part of the inequity in this story (the Protagonist needs to commit on what to do.)

• Impulsive responses (Subconscious): Lizard mode engaged. Innate responses are part of the inequity in this story (the Protagonist needs to pull itself together.)

• Innermost desires (Preconscious): They’re all about fantasies. Something that’s missing inside of them is part of the inequity in this story (the Protagonist needs to go out on a limb.)

Edit: updated descriptions based on feedback.

1 Like

These are interesting, but they assume that what is broken needs to be fixed. You also used “we” where the more appropriate word would have been “they”.

The Overall Story Concern sheds light on the source of inequity within a story. Whether or not they should or shouldn’t solve it becomes a combination of the Overall Story Outcome, Story Judgment, and Overall Story Costs and Dividends.

Jim, isn’t there always a desire in the Protagonist to solve the inequity, regardless of the outcome? I wrote these descriptions from the perspective of the start of the story. I’ll edit them to use ‘they’.

We suggests empathy, they sympathy. With the OS point-of-view you want to be thinking of the latter.

There is motivation for the Protagonist to resolve the inequity but when you use the word “need” it seems to imply an outcome. If it is simply the Protagonist thinking this then you’re probably OK, it just wasn’t clear in the original post.

Hmmm… I’m getting hung up on this list. I think it’s a terrific idea for you to put together, but it’s a learning tool, so you’re going to take some hits.

I dislike the idea that “understand” is used a lot. The police in The Terminator do not ever understand what is going on, but they have lots of Concerns too.

I also think some of them are inaccurate.

Developing a Plan: We will change something.
This doesn’t work for me. My mother in law is going to come live with us, and I cannot see how that is going to work with the house we have, but if that’s the OS Goal, then when I can finally see how that is going to work, voilà. What about this is “We will change something?”

Doing: Our actions are part of the inequity of the story.
Everyone’s actions in all stories reflect the inequity somehow. Are they part of the inequity? I struggle to know what that means. Is Han Solo shooting Greedo part of the inequity?

My takeaway for you is: focus on fewer stories and aim for more depth. This is hard because this forum is really good at general questions, but not so helpful when you’re asking about The Fugitive because we haven’t seen it for a while. Try watching the upcoming DUG movie and then ask questions about that, maybe.

@MWollaeger I’ll go through the list again, it’s probably too specific. But indeed, compiling this list has helped me a lot.

Developing a plan: “Something’s changing” maybe better? I realize after going through the list again that I’ve probably been influenced by OS Goal, I’ll update the descriptions.

@jhull I change “meaning:” to “Protagonist:”, in that case I’ll use I instead of we.

This is a definition of (wait for it) “How things are changing.” (Situation Domain/Progress)

This is why I think you should focus on specifics. When you watch a movie like Rear Window and start to wrestle with why it is OS Concern: Developing a Plan, you will start to see that it’s internal (Psychology) and not External. You will see the relationship between time and the Concern. (Things that are changing are now, but how something could work is… when?)

Also, start with things you know the answer to – get the answers from the dramatica site, watch that movie and see if you can get it to gel.

“I” gets us, the readers (aka your audience) into the MC role, which is even further from objectivity.

For clarity purposes, I recommend that you either replace all personal pronouns referencing the Protagonist with the genderless “it”, or always refer to it as “the Protagonist” and add the possessive (e.g. the Protagonist’s…) when necessary. It is the most objective way to look at characters in the OS, which moves the reader away from any inclination toward subjectivity.

For example, “Protagonist: he may have to revisit choices he thought were behind him” would read, “Protagonist: it may have to revisit choices it thought were behind it,” or, “Protagonist: the Protagonist may have to revisit choices the Protagonist thought had been made already.”

@chuntley thanks for the help, I’ve updated the post.