Is my story in trouble? Concerns as they relate to story feel

I’ve been reading various threads discussing how the choice of Concern (Top left, Top right, etc.) affects the feel of a story.

I’m working on a fantasy/sci-fi drama and my Concerns have ended up in the lower left, where I’ve seen such choices described as suitable for rom-coms, chick flicks, etc… This has me VERY concerned as to whether I’ve made the right choices for my storyform. My choices feel right, but I’m definitely not writing a romantic comedy or chick flick.

Am I sweating this too much or does the overall feel depend more on my storytelling?

Every time I start thinking I have a handle on the theory, something like this comes up and causes me to reconsider my level of understanding.

Hi Rod,
Although lower-left Concerns are suitable for rom-coms it’s also where you’ll find Blade Runner, The Matrix, Serenity, The Terminator, Star Trek (2009), X-Files Beyond the Sea … and that’s only looking at sci-fi.

I’m writing a modern-day sci-fi right now where the OS Concern is Becoming.

I think you’re fine!

3 Likes

I’ve just written a sports story with a Holistic MC and am about to start on a comedy in the upper-left concerns (typically the thought-provoking stories). Granted, I’m in Europe so those kinds of ‘unique’ things are expected, but I still think it’s irrelevant.

You can tell an uplifting sci-fi story and a downbeat romance story with the same concern. Ultimately, it all comes down to the storytelling.

Don’t sweat it!