Is the Dramatica "learning curve" conceptual or technical?

I have read and studied the book Dramatica A New Theory of Story exhaustively, and of course I am interested in looking at the software. I have a decent grasp on the concepts and language, but I am very low tech. I am strictly a point and click person. Is the software for me? I have been working on a novel for years now and reading and studying Dramatica has been a mind blowing experience. I understand my manuscript and my characters like never before. I understand the 3 act structure for the first time in my life and I have a degree in English literature. Most importantly for the first time I know what needs to be done to finally finish my story. I want to buy the software but I am afraid that I will not be able to manage it. Is the difficulty and “learning curve” a matter of understanding concepts or a matter of navigating the software? I am terrified the answer is “both.” If this is posted in the wrong place, forgive me. I am low tech after all.

Best thing to do is download the trial version and see for yourself.

http://dramatica.com/demo

Good luck.

Thank you, I did that but all I saw was tutorials. I didn’t see where I could be interactive with the software. Maybe that is a big clue that I will not be able to handle the technical side of Dramatica software.

It’s a matter of understanding the concepts. The software just gives you the tools to make that understanding easier. It can be a bit overwhelming at first as there are many many options and many different approaches one can take to get to a story, but the actual day-to-day “use” of Dramatica is not all that difficult.

For your first sojourn, Armando said, once, not to use dramatica on a work that you poured your heart and soul into, but start something else and tinker around. The Dramatica software is like a set of fine art supplies, in my experience. Sometimes you use it, and sometimes you don’t; but is always an asset to have, handy.

Thank you! That is really what I wanted to hear.

Thank you. That is so interesting. Why is Dramatica less useful with a work in progress? I have already decided to buy the software. Before I was so worried about wasting 200 dollars, but I have reached the point that I can’t resist the temptation to see what the software can offer. The book has helped me immeasurably. I have read novels all my life. I own an impressive personal library of writing instructional books and manuals, but I was still hopelessly spinning my wheels in ActII and couldn’t stop. Now I know what is wrong with my novel and how to fix it. It has been a mind blowing experience.

It is not less useful. The point being our works in progress are precious to us, and with such heightened emotions it might be hard to use it objectively as a preliminary run through, at least that was my take on it. Actually, that was when Armando came up with instant dramatica, as a way to help fellow writers on a dram users listserv get a feel for what the software could do without putting their precious efforts through the trial run.

The problem I have is I start with the idea of just noodling around with an idea I have no connection with so I can experiment. But after working with the idea and with Dramatica, I FALL IN LOVE WITH THE STORY! It’s just not fair!

1 Like