Looking to Reach a Better Understanding of the Variation Level

Dramatica is amazing, and I’m extraordinary glad to have found it. But, I’ve learned that I have a lot of trouble understanding the Variations, in general.

For example, in figuring out the storyform for my current project, I actually had this wrong virtually every time (whether or not I had the right Domain/Concern) and had to drop down to the Elements. Gratefully, I think I’ve found the correct storyform, or if not, at least the one I have resonates well with what I’ve already written.

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on ways I might get a better handle, or a more visceral feel for each of these as an issue in any one of the possible throughlines?

I always skip the Variation level when creating a story. I’ve found it is the weakest spot for me in the model.

You’ll find in every quad one item that doesn’t quite sit right with you. The different levels of the model function like a quad (Domain, Type, Variation, and Element) so you may likely have the same problem.

The solution is what you precisely suggest – and showcases one of the strengths of Dramatica. By focusing on what you know, and what you’re good at, the theory helps identify the missing parts and the areas of narrative structure that you are naturally blind to.

I just look at the elements underneath each Variation to help understand which one is the right one for the story.

4 Likes

From my experience I never pick the right variation before the first draft. As I know I have to change it afterwards anyhow I don’t spend too much time on this (anymore). I just select what I feel is right for the time being and move on.

More important for me nowadays are the signposts. After the basics are done (12 important questions) I usually look at my plot points (Inciting, PP1, Midpoint, PP2, Climax, End) and select/ adjust my signpost accordingly. The goal (=OS Concern) is also what I try to get right before I start.

After the first draft is done – there are no exceptions so far – I always have to rework my story form completely. This is not because choices have been wrong but as the story evolves the understanding of the story is evolving, too.

2 Likes

I would second this entirely.

I have only ever settled on a storyform after the first draft is complete. And when I do, the variations of that storyform will seem obviously correct, like, “why didn’t I see that before!” level of obvious. And yet, I didn’t. I never do.

But by now, I trust that if my intuition is interested enough in a story to drive me to work on it, that’s because there’s a complete storyform in there somewhere. I can trust that it’ll emerge in the end if I give myself space to explore my imagination without boxing myself in too quickly.

With that said, there’s nothing wrong with picking a storyform to guide you through the writing process if it helps give you direction/keeps you motivated. Just don’t clamp down on it too hard; use it as a stepping stone to get to a draft that works. Once you have a draft that works, reexamine your storyform and adjust it where necessary to reflect the story you told, instead of the one you thought you were telling.

3 Likes

How much your storyform changes after your first draft might also depend on how much you outline first. If you have a detailed outline, it’s possible you’ll figure out the storyform from that and stick to it. (though don’t count on it!)

One thing I’ve found is the initially-outlined Issue illustrations develop a lot and become more meaningful over the course of the first draft, even if the Issue Variation doesn’t change.

1 Like

I think what makes the variation level difficult for me is that it seems to be the least plot-like. The Domain, Concern, and Element levels all feel like they can be illustrated relatively easy with a single story event. But the variation level is where theme comes from so it feels like it’s more of a direct comparison between, say, Self-Interest and Morality than, say, Obtaining and Doing. And I think that makes it feel like it needs to be more of a discussion within the story than just a story event so that it can say X is better, worse, or comparable to Y.

One thing I always make sure to do when I’m working on that level is to open…I forget the full name of it and don’t have access to the software at the moment…it’s the window with the word Query in it. (Edit: it’s called Query System)Open that, select OS story (or whichever one you’re looking at) and then select Issue. If you look at the descriptions of Issue, they’re different for each throughline. Like I think OS would say to look at the nature of Self-Interest, whereas the MC description would say to look at the MCs value standard regarding Self-Interest, and the RS might say to look at the meaning of Self-Interest. Keep note that I’m getting those descriptions from memory, so make sure to look at the Query window rather than taking my word. Anyway, I really take those differences to heart when illustrating Variations and try to use the OS to show the nature of being Self-Interested, or use the Mc to show what the MCs values are as they relate to Self-Interest.

2 Likes

“…motivated.” and moving! Let’s never forget that when Margaret Mitchell started writing Gone with the Wind, it was Melanie’s story, but then she wanted to write Scarlett’s story, instead.

1 Like

Thank you for all of the suggestions. It turns out that the culmination of the responses has actually given me the visceral feel I was looking for. The analogy to discussion within the story makes a lot of sense and even reveals why I have trouble at this level.

Looking back on what I have now, and the advice that you’ve all given me, I wanted to say that I’ve actually been working from a zeroth draft (nope, not first). I’m happy with the storyform I have, and it’s been inspiring.

In fact, two kinds have scenes have found homes in the current storyform.

• Scenes I felt must be included to tell my story, AND
  • Scenes I felt were missing, but I couldn’t place correctly.

Thus, whether the current form is right or not, I’ve certainly found the inspiration I need for the real first draft.

Thank you again for all the advice, it really has been very helpful.

3 Likes