Main Character who is very obviously not protagonist

Similar to this thread:

http://discuss.dramatica.com/t/influence-character-who-is-also-protagonist/

I’m wondering if there are some good examples of Main Characters who not only aren’t the Protagonist, but where it’s SUPER OBVIOUS that they are not the protagonist. I think such stories would be useful for explaining the difference between MC and Protagonist to people not versed in Dramatica.

• It sounds like To Kill a Mockingbird may be a great example, but I’ve never read it.
  • Princess Bride is a decent example. The only problem is some people might argue that Westley is the main character…!
  • The Matrix is actually a pretty good example for the first half. After that, Neo starts believing in himself and in their ability to affect the Matrix (Trinity: “No one’s ever done anything like this before.” Neo: “That’s why it’s going to work.”) and becomes more protagonist-y.

One thing to remember though, is that the Main Character will always be important in some way to the Overall Story – at the very least, their Unique Ability is an overlap between the MC and OS throughlines, and is related to the Goal. So people might always be able to find a scene or two they can use to argue the MC = protagonist.

To Kill a Mockingbird is a great example. Also, The Shawshank Redemption, Big, Sicario, and to a lesser extent (meaning perhaps not SUPER OBVIOUS), Michael Clayton.

I’ve written a few stories where the MC is not the protagonist and while I enjoy the process, the challenge of getting readers from professional services who haven’t been otherwise brainwashed can be a frustrating endeavor. The last script I sent out I had two readers say there was “a perspective problem.” Rather than arguing, I decided not to use them again though I don’t mind taking shots at articles from time to time like I did for Sicario where Cinema Blend faulted the movie for a perspective problem in their review - sometimes you’ve just got to call them out and hope they’ll eventually see the light.

3 Likes

Thanks JBarker!

Ooh, Sicario – great example (and I’ve read your article before, fantastic work). Man I wish I hadn’t watched that film on the plane; the ending got ruined by interruptions. I’ll have to watch it again, along with Shawhank.

The Sherlock Holmes stories

1 Like

Thanks Prish, great suggestion.

I’m thinking The Caine Mutiny also applies – I don’t recall the MC ensign guy pursuing very much in the overall story about the crazy captain and the mutiny, anyway. He was just a follower.

I posted something on this just now. I think Richard Gere’s character (impact character) in “Pretty Woman” might actually be the antagonist. Dwayne Johnson’s character (also an IC) in “Central Intelligence” seems clearly the protagonist.

Hey – I recommend reading To Kill a Mockingbird.

Amerian Gods (Neil Gaiman) also has a very clear Non-Protagonist MC. He is also supper passive, so he violates another tenet that many people espouse: the Protagonist/MC must be proactive! (They don’t see a difference between the two.) I’m curious how they are going to deal with this in the upcoming TV adaptation. I talked to one of the writers a long time ago, and he admitted it was an issue.

The Terminator I think is pretty clear, as well.

2 Likes