MC/IC are Pro/Ant

The initial Story Driver creates the inequity in the Storymind–assuming a Linear-mindset, the Goal is the resolution of that inequity (Problem).

4 Likes

Whiplash
Bringing Up Baby
12 Angry Men
The Heiress (1949) (from the book Washington Square)
In the Heat of the Night
Whale Rider
When Harry Met Sally
Black Panther (2 ICs)
Batman Begins
The Prestige
Collateral ?
Memento ?
Return to Me ?

1 Like

This is another good list, thanks.

Whiplash: The Father is the Antagonist, not the teacher.
Collateral: The Protagonist is actually the detective, until he dies, and then it becomes the taxi driver.

2 Likes

I don’t think the Antagonist in the Prestige is Borden (the IC) either.

“Like The Shawshank Redemption and The Fugitive, The Prestige centers conflict in the Overall Story Throughline around the unjust imprisonment of an innocent man. This imbalance in the UNIVERSE separates Borden from his wife and child, Angier from the secret he longs to unravel, and everyone from the peace that results when the scales of justice balance out. Tit-for-tat. ”Abracadabra” and a well-placed flintlock shot deliver the parity needed to resolve the story’s central inequity.”

Since Borden is the one being unjustly imprisoned, and him shooting Angier (the MC) resolves the Overall Story, it seems more like Borden is the Protagonist, or at least illustrates one or more of the Protagonist Elements.

Thanks for the great list though! :grinning:

Source: https://narrativefirst.com/throughlines/the-prestige

After reading HaroldLloyd’s list, I’d say my favorite is Momento. It was a true genius work of mc/ic protagonist antagonist. A question lingers if it shifts, flip flops, as to who’s the antagonist due to the reveals for the audience and mc.

Just to add one to this list: my wife and I recently started watching Killing Eve. Enjoying it so far. Not finished with the first season, so I’m can’t argue for a storyform, but it’s pretty clear that Eve (the MI5 agent) is Pro/MC and Villanelle (the assassin) is the IC/Ant.

1 Like

Watched the old Point Break recently. Great movie, one of my wife’s favourite’s from that era. There’s no official storyform, but it definitely seems complete, with Keanu Reeves’ character as both Protagonist and MC, and the Patrick Swayze character as Antagonist and IC.

1 Like