Methodology to build Problem Class - Concern - Issue - Problem Element per Throughline

Hi,
To consolidate theme and plot for my novel, I am reviewing the whole thing using Dramatica.
I don’t use the software, I use the book…
So I was wondering, if it is an absolute MUST to dig deeper and deeper into the following quad when going from Problem Class to Concern, to Issue, to Element ?

As an example, when you start MC Throughline as being Physics, then the Concern being Understanding, could you choose an Issue around Strategy (a Variation under Learning), or should the MC Issue be one of Instinct–Conditioning Interpretation–Senses ?

(The question is of course iterative to the deeper levels)
I’m asking because from the Star Wars examples in the book v4 p99, the IC Problem is Unproven, but Obi Wan is Mind - Preconscious - Worth, and Unproven is a Value Quad Element, while Worth Elements are Expectation–Determination Ending–Unending… unless there is an error in my version of the diagrams…

By the way, I have a real hard time understanding the correspondence between Variations and Elements, and I was wondering if I’m alone and if there is any guidance somewhere to be found… I didn’t find it in the book

Thanks !

The current model is biased towards the Main Character and Overall Story Throughlines. Those will always be straight drill-downs from top to bottom.

Influence Character and Relationship Story Throughlines can sometimes be straight drill-downs, but usually aren’t. What you’re seeing is a visual representation of subjectivity - where things look differently than they really are in the real world.

1 Like

That is clear !
Thanks for the quick reply, helps a lot :slight_smile: