NaNoWriMo! (and a Story Driver article)

Not sure if anyone on here has been doing NaNoWriMo this month? I’d love to hear from you if you have!

I’ve been doing it (first time!) and I thought people might be interested in the blog posts I made on my experience, which include looking at the NaNo process from a Dramatica perspective. In general, I found a lot of the Dramatica thinking sort of fades to the back burner when you’re desperately trying to produce 1700 words every day (while still meeting all your other obligations). But in many ways, I feel that back burner is the right place for your storyform while you’re trying to write your first draft which means being inside your characters heads, right in your scenes with them. It’s still available for consultation when you have trouble or come up for air and want to check if you’re still on track. (Besides, all the important stuff is probably internalized in your subconscious anyway.)

Anyway, here are the blog posts:

I didn’t really think I’d have any time to blog while doing NaNo, so even though those more stream-of-consciousness type posts are a bonus!

Also earlier this month I posted this article regarding Story Driver and how to determine the Driver in your own story (luckily I’d drafted 90% of that post before November!). Let me know what you think – I hope it can be useful to someone!

1 Like

Hi Mike:

I’ve been doing NaNoWriMo too and am also using Dramatica for my story structure. A few days before Nov. 1, I sketched out a Dramatica storyform. What I’m writing is a bit different than what I expect most people are doing, i.e. it’s not a straight novel per say.

I’d just finished the book “Call Me By Your Name” and was so moved by it, having identified with Elio (being a young gay man), with Oliver and the book’s setting (I was an American student who lived in Rome, Italy for a year), and with the book’s time period (the novel takes place during the very same year I was living in Italy). The story and the emotions it evoked resonated with me so much I decided (Decision, coincidentally, is my Story Driver) to undertake a semi-autobiographical story and perhaps spin it into some inspired fiction.

I selected a storyform based on myself as a main character, with certain circumstances of my life in mind, and a sense of a story arc – albeit a faint and incomplete one. After my minimum required decisions were input, I ended up with a complete storyform, one in which Dramatica had filled in a great deal more information than I had input. While I had no detail to support it yet, the storyform felt right–right in a personal sense, knowing myself, my own issues, my hopes and dreams, etc. (Note, I did however selfishly make sure I had a happy ending in there.)

I figured I’d riff on the initial events I’d selected, then create additional fictional ones from them – taking the story off into some uncharted territories. But as I started off the month, I continued to cull more and more from memories and real stories of my own life. Each one would elicit another, then another. As the days and weeks progressed, I found I wasn’t veering off, as I’d expected I would, into Fictionland. Instead, I was finding the storyform still intact while I continued to fill in many more parts of my life, in a rather non-linear process. Using the Plot Sequence Report, I carved out thematics for the selected scenes of my life to plug into. It’s rather fun to think of a memory – they’re springing up like popcorn now – then look for a thematic it might fit under in one of the signposts, find that its story placement fits not only into the story structure but also (somehow magically) the real chronology of my life, and have it all make sense within one of the four throughline viewpoints. It’s rather amazing how it’s all fitting together. And each storypoint completed suggests another related story or memory from my life for me to shape and fit into the narrative arcs.

About halfway through November, when I realized this was how it was going to go, I committed to this project more clearly as memoir and began undertaking it essentially as therapy – an exercise in self examination, awareness and discovery. I’m learning a great deal about myself as all this formulates. And the more I get into it, the more I’m letting my hair down. At this point, however, I have no intention of anyone, other than me, ever reading it.

But who knows?

3 Likes

I was looking at those earlier today. Wish there were a dozen more Dramatica blogs I could go to every day. It’d be awesome to see an excerpt or two to go along with your blog posts, but I understand not putting it out there.

I actually stopped writing much this month because my desire to grow in my understanding of Dramatica has way outgrown my desire to create, but I’m kind of hoping to find a fresh idea and make January a PerNoWriMo (personal novel writing month). Maybe I can share more then

1 Like

Really awesome articles @mlucas. I agree with @Gregolas - I wish there were more Dramatica blogs I could go to (particularly reliable ones written by people who know what they’re talking about like you – otherwise it’s a waste of time). It’s particularly great to see it from the perspective of creation rather than just analysis. Do you have a mailing list?

I decided to do Nano as an experiment this year. From a word-count perspective it’s been a complete failure, but I feel like I’ve learned some crucial things and learned a lot about my own process.

The backstory is that I’ve been mired in this dystopian trilogy I’ve been working on for the past year. At some point in the middle I was stuck and found Dramatica while looking for answers. That’s been awesome, but harder to learn/figure out than expected. I wondered if part of the problem was that I was trying to apply the theory to a bunch of half-written material.

Since the whole point of all this for me is to figure out how to tell great stories faster, the last week of October I decided to try an experiment inspired by @jhull’s Nano podcasts (from last year) and just see how fast I could create a story from scratch using gists. I spun a few of them and found one that lead me to a story that fits as a prequel to the dystopian series, which is pretty cool.

However, when I started writing it I was having a terrible time getting into the flow (to be fair, it’s been an even crazier than usual month in terms of other life responsibilities). My default is to beat myself up when this happens and try to force it, but this time I decided to go back to the drawing board and develop the story more. Some of this has been more Dramatica work, but most has been pre-drafting storytelling stuff – character casting, location work, figuring out mood and tone, etc. I’ve been modeling Sean Platt’s “Beats for Scrivener” course for this, which I think actually fits pretty well with Dramatica if you use something like Jim or Armando’s approach to development.

So long story short, no 50K, but a lot of progress on developing a better story development process.

3 Likes

I have done Nanowrimo three times in the past. It helped me to learn how to focus on the first draft until its done.

My first Nanowrimo was before I knew dramatica exists: Seeing it from today, the process was kind of strange (@Lakis forcing myself to write) as I had only a rough idea what to write about. Near the end of the month the “focus or theme” moved into (@MiggsEye) a memoir.

For my second Nanowrimo I started in October and outlined 30 scenes using randomly elements, issues and concerns but not a single unique storyform. As characters I either picked two or three based on the proposed dramatica archetypes or tried to fit in enneagram types based on my outline. The process was much better, at least I knew what to write about, but the result…? I ended-up with less than 30 short stories and have used a few of them in other stories later.

For my third Nanowrimo I started with 1 single story form. At the end I was very satisfied with the process even though the story isn’t published yet.

Nanowrimo was a great exercise to get started with PerNoWriMo (@Gregolas) to start writing every time once I am satisfied with a new storyform.

Btw, doing a Nanowrimo could be really a cure to stop – at least for a few weeks – the desire to understand dramatica and pursuit the desire to create and write.

2 Likes

Thanks for the great feedback and comments everyone. It’s great to hear how others are using Dramatica in their writing and specifically for NanoWriMo.

@MiggsEye your memoir sounds really cool. I think that’s the best attitude to take for now – that it’s only for you – but after you’re finished the first draft you might change your mind. (I’ve actually been following that advice for fiction – “first draft is only for you”. Doing so lets you concentrate on writing what you love and just making it fun for yourself.)

@Lakis I don’t have a mailing list. Maybe one day! Good luck on your stories. it sounds like you’re taking the right approach – I was only able to dive into Nano this year because I had enough planning already done.

@Gernot, wow, anything close to 30 short stories in a month is amazing! I find even having to start a new scene slows me down.

@Gregolas I’ll try to post some story excerpts for future articles, you’re right they might make really good examples sometimes. I’m not really worried about people stealing things; I’ve already shared a lot of info about the story on the blog. What makes it tough is that I’m only on the first draft, which at times is really rough!
Don’t let your desire to create get overwhelmed! Dramatica should be first and foremost a tool for creation!

2 Likes

Thanks Mike. realistically, i figure that it is my drive to create that’s got me obsessed with and desiring to learn more about Dramatica, which is then causing me to put that drive on hold. So in a weird way, my drive to create is driving me not to create (for the time being). Sounds like I maybe have some layers of justification that need to be worked through.

Way to go, Lakis. And keep on Truckin’!

I’d never heard of the “Beats for Scrivener” course and will look it up. Thanks for sharing it.

I will add, I did make my 50K words last night. But I will say, i counted every word I generated as going towards the word count goal — not only the actual written story, but also any notes, sketches, character development descriptions, etc. In my opinion all of it counts toward the goal – which, in the end, is to get us all writing and moving forward with crafting our stories. So make sure you’ve counted everything you’ve generated towards your words and look to add that feather to your cap.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Gernot:

I’d love to learn more about your take on using Dramatica for short stories. Dramatica seems to be so much geared towards longer works offering a full fledged Grand Argument Story. Even with the Dramatica Theory book, and @jhull’s blog and podcast, and Armando’s book to learn from, Its not entirely clear how to use Dramatica best for Short Stories. I know with the bare minimum, one can just play with a quad like Knowledge/Thought/Ability/Desire and carve out a short story from that. As described in the Dramatica book, one can create short works either by going wide, touching upon all 4 throughlines without going too deep into the model, or going deep, but staying online inside only one on the throughlines, illustrating only one througline’s story appreciations. I suppose one could get kind of experimental with genre, character, plot or theme depending on which appreciations you decide to include. Those choices on what you limit the story appreciations to will have an effect on the audience. As with any creative endeavor it’s where the rubber meets the road that matters. With 30 short stories using Dramatica under your belt, Gernot, that’s a lot of rubber – and a bevy of experience to learn from.

Congratulations!!!

I’ll keep that in mind :slight_smile:. Ulysses tells me that if you count all that, I have over 20,000 words, so not so bad!

Thank you. And well done.

@ MiggsEye let me try to summarize my experience

I have read the theory in the book using quads for short stories but couldn’t really transfer or use it (at this time) for my writing. As other have mentioned it here in this forum I just kind of felt the benefit of dramatica for my work but couldn’t get it on paper. So I used the Nanowrimo and just tried something out.

I tried three different approaches…

1. Create a short story from an element quad
  • Pick an idea
  • Come up with a short synopsis, in your head or better with one or two sentences on paper
  • Look for a corresponding element quad either using the structure chart or the software
  • Set a word count goal, good number for me is between 800-1200 words
  • Write and don’t stop before word counts turns greenish in Scrivener

If I didn’t had any idea on hand I just took out the chart and tried to get inspiration by going over the elements and their short descriptions.

Example:
Jack (Help) wants to assists everyone’s effort even if they don’t ask for it. Bill (Hinder) is driven to make things difficult for anyone he can.

I usually didn’t look at the Issue or Concern yet before I had the first draft written.

Some finished short-short-stories (only 100words and in German) are here: http://einhundertwoerter.tumblr.com/

1. Create a short story from an issue
  • Pick idea
  • Invest a bit more to write a short synopsis
  • Look at the synopsis to identify the issue
  • Find the corresponding issue on the structure chart
  • Set word count and go…

Same here, I usually didn’t look further at the Issue or Concern before my first draft is written. Identifying problems, issues and concerns is much easier once the first draft is written.

From my experience stories I wrote using this approach usually sounded a bit “stilted/artificial”. I guess it’s why you focus too much being intelligent on the theme instead writing with your heart.

1. Create a short story using a Concern
    Last but not least, the third option is a combination of the element and the issue approach. It is the most powerful one but was the most difficult in the beginning. The further I went up the ladder (element, issue, concern) the deeper I got into the dramatica terminology jungle. But anyhow I had a try:
  • Pick idea
  • Write synopsis, keep concern in mind
  • Decide on issue and the counterpoint to illustrate
  • Assign characters using archetypes
  • and go…

All the three options are good exercises to learn Dramatica and create stories at the same time - without the need to understand all the dramatica theory in the beginning. In parallel I spent a lot of time diving into character systems (Enneagram as best one, MBTI as second option) to develop my characters by combining traits with Dramatica elements.

For some of the shorter stories (short more by word count then by genre) I have written I still refuse to start with the revision. Knowing Dramatica today a little bit better, I think the reason is: I just imagine how buggy this stories are and how much potential I haven’t used.

Nevertheless, Dramatica is absolutely great for inspiration, plotting, working on theme, developing characters and gaining productivity. I personally manage nowadays to write 2-3 books (each approx. 50k words) a year plus keeping a daily writing diary. Compared to the time before without dramatica its more than 300%.

The only struggle I still have is doing revisions as new and better ideas flocking in day by day which want to be analysed in and written with Dramatica the same day. Anyone can help here how to stop and start revising first drafts in-time?