Nanowrimo, Plot and Dramatica

I would like to use Nano to write a short novel based on a plot which I am (trying to) developing right now in Dramatica. During the last years I usually used the pantser method, got my word count, but it didn’t work out and I never got a finished piece of of work. Main reason why it didn’t work was obviously a lack of a clear goal for the hero, motivation, strong characters … more good intention then a good story to tell.

For obvious reason, as I don’t like the pantser style so much anymore, my question: What is best practice to keep writing and using the tools (Dramatica, Snyder, …):

I see currently the following options:

Option A: Create a convincing (sic!) plot with Dramatica combined with Blake Snyder’s Beat Sheet, prepare scenes based on the plot and write

If I don’t can find the right plot …

Option B: Prepare 30+ conflict situations (using Plotto, Newspaper or something else, e.g. Jack in desperate need, ignores a family obligation) and flesh out single scenes day by day

or just

Option C: Do the panster style

or else

Option D: Pick a theme, Story-Weaving and -Forming in Dramatica, write and see where the road takes you

I am a big fan of dramatica and would like to use it in a way, but right now I feel I don’t get a convincing plot out of it.

Can you expand on what you mean when you say

Mike

A plot which drives me through the story with a clear goal and a surprising ending. I often start with a story idea where I have this Eureka moment - yes, thats the right thing to write, thats what I want to say - but once I have written some scenes I don’t have it anymore and I am starting to realize that it might be that I got lost, don’t see the goal, don’t see the ending … therefore my question, if it better to think from the ending and work forward.

I think there is always a give and take between brainstorming and outlining. Use your great idea to get out a draft, then use that draft to make a new outline…

Considering the point of NaNo is quantity–and not necessarily quality–it really is a balancing act. You can over-plan and then get bogged down in the idea of following your plan… You could do something simple like divide the 50K words into four pieces (or 8 or 16 or…) and decide what happens in each piece. In the Dramatica software, there’s a brainstorming function that randomly pulls up a story form. You can choose a random one and then fit that into your plan. While you can take NaNo as seriously as you’d like, it really is created to have fun… And anyway, the first draft really is the sandbox. The real work comes afterwards; might as well enjoy the story while you can :wink: