Netflix’s Living With Yourself

I think @MWollaeger is right that we should really try to pin down the change in Miles and I think we need to step back and come to an agreement about approach.

I feel like it did if we view New Miles as protagonist. He became part of the family. But that might be jumping ahead a little too far. The problem with TV shows for me, as far as analysis goes, is there’s always threads hanging for next season.

That’s why it’s a good reason to nail things down, to state the obvious.

Sure, but that’s not a problem if you nail down what this story is about.

So, let’s talk about (old) Miles’ approach…

The first thing that jumps out at me is that he asks for more time in the meeting when he isn’t ready for the pitch.

Totally. It just makes it a little harder to see what fits in where.

That feels like a do-er moment to me. But I could see it argued the other way. Asking for an extension just seems like looking for an external solution.

Other stuff in the first episode taking his frustration out on the lightbulb and killing the fly that was annoying him. Those seem like pretty clear do-er moments.

Do you think these examples make sense?

Old Miles attacks new Miles with an ax (do-er), new Miles tries to calm him down (be-er).

When new Miles and old Miles agree to go for the drive, old Miles grabs a screwdriver to kill him with (do-er), new Miles lies and says he’s going to leave a note (be-er).

I think that a Be-er would just look so miserable that the boss offers the extension. Or (in a drawn-out attempt) get sick, forcing the extension.

Agreed.

New Miles doesn’t have much of a choice here, and Approach is a preference.

Lying is doing something. These are both do-er moments. But, this is also entangled in the OS, since it’s trying to deal with Two Miles. I’d punt on that one for now.

When you think about the IC, think about him from the perspective of the MC. What is it about New Miles that affects Old Miles? (@Greg has already said it, IIRC.)

For me, it felt like new Miles was better at being Miles than old Miles was. He’s likeable, funny, charming, attentive, and he cares.

He effortlessly embodies all the things old Miles used to be.

Yeah, I think so too.

He tells stories, he comes up with campaigns by listening to himself, he is charming.

There is a lot of work, too, that went into the campaign, but we don’t see it.

I think we should wait for @Greg to comment now, because I don’t want to come to force anything on anybody.

1 Like

There are definitely some things not resolved. But that’s part of the question, too, I guess. Is there enough resolution in the area of new Miles fitting in to complete the story?

Ok. makes sense.

Are you proposing “New Miles fitting in” as the Story Goal?

I think there’s a better wording there, but given a successful outcome and assuming we agree on new Miles as protagonist, I’d second something along those lines.

Before we get too far into the goal discussion, did you have a strong feeling on growth?

Greg and I were leaning heavily toward start. He’s not really hamstringing himself, he’s just not stepping up at work, in his marriage, with his play, etc.

I don’t know. More just suggesting that, at least as far as the the three go, it does feel like the intent is to say ‘okay, there’s a second Miles and it’s caused problems, but we (we) can deal with it.’ Feels very relational to me, but also seems as though it could bleed into the Os a smidge.

And yet, as the pinwheel keeps spinning, it hits me that there is a moment when old Miles stops attacking new Miles and turns his aggression on the credenza, which feels like it has some significance in the direction of the story.

Let’s hold off on the Outcome until we have a goal. (I know the feel at the end is Success, but I don’t want to rely on our guts just yet.)

I do agree that Old Miles is the Protagonist. So, let’s start there—just what is he Pursuing?

He is certainly a very down character, who feels like he has to Start. But the other place I come from is asking, “Who is causing his problems?” He is, and he has to Stop doing that.

Was that a typo and we agree on new Miles or are we disagreeing? :grin:

It’s weird trying to put it into words. New Miles wants to be Miles? He was created to be Miles, but because of Old Miles surviving he can’t do that. He wants to find a way to be part of that world.

He doesn’t stop attacking, but he starts redirecting his frustration? :smile:

We may be into “six of one / half dozen of the other” territory.

I think we disagree, but I misread what you wrote.

@Greg where do you come down?

He certainly fees like a Start character

He’s trying to get new Miles out of his life

Back that up with evidence.
ETA:
What I’m getting at is that he sets New Miles up with an apartment, which runs counter to getting him out of his life.

Right. He also brings him back to finish the pitch.

He kind of ping-pongs between getting rid of new Miles and wanting him around.

So then what he’s pursuing is going to be found somewhere else

This is why old Miles feels more like reconsider/prevent to me. He’s always changing his mind (leave, stay, okay now leave, come back) and he’s always preventing new Miles from actually becoming the Miles.

Not saying that’s the case, but that’s why I feel like it’s hard to frame a goal around old Miles.