Netflix’s Living With Yourself

Also, New Miles is driving all the stuff with the Ad Campaign in the OS and he’s the one that marches back into the spa and gets the money back.

I can see all of those things as reconsider just as easily. (You said yes to the VR campaign, you should reconsider…)

That’s why we have to nail down some other things first.

New Miles is pursuing Old Miles’ life.
What is Old Miles pursuing?
And which one are you rooting for?

Still hard for me to pin down.

As far as I can tell, he wants to be the best, but without doing any work. He wants everyone to think he’s great.

He goes to the clinic so they can make him the best version of himself.

Rework this to include the context that there are two Miles and I think you’ll get the wording…

He wants credit for everything new Miles is doing or he wants people to think he’s new Miles?

Yeah. He went to the clinic to become the best version of himself, but all of that goodness went into the clone. But he’s still pursing that the whole time. He wants what the new guy has: the good ideas, the effortless charm, etc.

And the New Miles wants what the old Miles has, namely Kate.

[This is making me wonder what Giselle thinks about her new awkward-at-sex Tom Brady once a year. Anyway…]

They both have these things they are pursuing, and depending on whose shoes you are standing in, you will pick a different Protagonist. I don’t mean “standing in their shoes” in the MC way, but in the way that pushes the agenda of the author.

At least there won’t be any more deflated balls. :football:

You good with that, @Greg?

2 Likes

I’m good. Keep rolling!

Okay, so old Miles wants to become new Miles and new Miles wants to become the Miles. They end up becoming a family at the end. Goal of Becoming?

I’d rather sort out which one you two think is the protagonist first, before moving on to the Story Goal.

I’m going to ixnay your logic on this though—and then point something else out.

The Protagonist is likely pursing the thing that makes them a family. Is this happening?

The Story Goal has to be one of the Types (aka Concerns) under the OS Domain.

This a completely subjective on my part, but I felt like I was on new Miles side. Old Miles just seemed like a total dick who wanted things both ways.[quote=“MWollaeger, post:90, topic:2652”]

I’m going to ixnay your logic on this
[/quote]

I can probably make a better argument, but I’ll hold off until we sort the protagonist.

Side question. Is it possible to have two protagonists pursuing different goals of a similar nature. The actual goal being something not apparent to either until the end?

Okay. So new Miles wants to be the Miles. Is he when we get to the end? [quote=“glennbecker, post:91, topic:2652”]
I can probably make a better argument, but I’ll hold off until we sort the protagonist.
[/quote]

No you can’t, because “becoming” is not a Type under “Universe”. It would have to be Future, Past, Present or Progress.

Here is the short answer:
You can’t have two protagonists in a story with different goals.

Here is the long answer:
The Protagonist pursues things.
So, in Star Wars when Luke is in the Death Star and “getting the plans” is in R2D2’s hands, Luke has to pursue nonetheless—that’s why he’s the one who pushes for getting Leah. But “getting the plans” and “getting Leah” aren’t the Story Goal, which is Doing. (Doing Rebel stuff.) So, they don’t just pursue the Story Goal.

In Lord of the Flies, it’s the Antagonist that actually commits the act that brings about the Story Goal and Success. So, it might look like he was pursuing one thing and gets something else. And what he gets isn’t exactly what the Protagonist was after (but it mostly is). So that might look like two protagonists pursuing different goals (though not of a similar nature) and getting something that is not apparent to them… but it’s not really.

Did I miss the part where we decided domains?

Sorry. I read back over the thread and I guess we hadn’t picked any Domains. But now I’ve tipped my hand.

No problem, it’s been a long thread. Thanks for clarifying protagonist / antagonist.

My argument for Psychology is that no one really seems too concerned that the 2nd Miles exists.

The spa guys are more concerned with keeping up appearances.

The company he works for never realizes there’s a clone and when they see two Miles, they don’t seem too bothered. They’re all about convincing the evil old guy and manipulating public opinion with the ad.

The FDA agents seem like they care, but really, it’s more about how no one takes them seriously and they can use the case to change the way people think about them.

It seems like the story is, there needs to be a significant change in how we’re dealing with this (becoming) or one of us has to go (obtaining).

The Miles’ are trying to keep up the whole ruse.

I guess that’s jumping ahead, but if your hand is tipped, then I’ll tip mine. :grin:

The only conflicts I can think of that involve them are when the Miles’s want their money back (because 1 car, 1 house, 1 life, but 2 Miles’s) and when it upsets old Miles that they were faking, which seems more like conflict for Miles than the spa guys.

Two Miles’ switching back and forth in the role makes the company nervous the pitch won’t be bought when old Miles tries to step into the role. It boots Dan out as the pitchman when new Miles steps in.

Old Miles is kidnapped by the FDA because there is a new Miles. The FDA has its own conflict because they don’t have money, which is another Universe problem of it’s own.

They don’t see a clone, they see a twin.

The FDA really bothered me. They bag a guy?? They jump to the conclusion that the cloning Miles is talking about has resulted in a full-grown adult? They don’t come to the obvious idea that if there is one adult, then there should be a second one? They let a guy walk out of their building when they had locked him in a room an hour earlier and hadn’t let him out? Here, the show started playing for comedy instead of the logic, and the foundation really began to sag.

Both Mileses are concerned. Kate is concerned. The FDA responds to a call about cloning. The problem at work comes from the fact that one Miles proposed the idea, and the other one has to pitch it. The spa gets shut down (I think) because they created two Miles. Old Miles has problems because Kate runs off with New Miles for a bit.

I agree with all of this except the words in parentheses.

Good catch. Another Universe issue: the building is too small for a lactation room.

1 Like

I almost stopped watching when the FDA stuff started.

Ehhh.

I’d argue they don’t have money because they’re inept and everyone thinks they’re a joke.

Doesn’t this sound a lot like dysfunctional thinking?

Doesn’t Kate bring up that’s she’s really concerned that new Miles can picture her naked? It’s like her conflict with it is just trying to get her head around how this is going to work.

There’s also when they first come back and the spa guys try to buy them off with a discount or something. Then when new Miles goes back to try to convince them to clone Kate.

More comedy of errors stuff.

I think we can argue in circles focusing on one throughline. Anyone want to take a shot at all four?

What words would you put in parenthesis?