New films for analysis?

Wish we would do a particular film for analysis during the Dramatica Users Group? Leave word here and we’ll see what we can do for next year.

In the past we were really successful analyzing films online. The Field of Dreams and Back to the Future storyforms were both done in a forum much like this one. If you can’t wait and would like to do one together as a group, let us know.

1 Like

I would like to revisit the official StoryForm for El Mariachi, especially the IC. No hurry but I would like to find a better heart for this story if it exists.

Glad you posted a topic about this. I recommend Ed Wood and Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

I’ve always thought “The Social Network” would be an interesting discussion.

5 Likes

The Out of Gas episode of Firefly. But I wouldn’t just want to find its storyform. I would want to discuss how they put it together – the order of the scenes they came up with to tell that story.

I agree with Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
I also wouldn’t mind seeing an analysis of Star Wars 5 and 6 each.

EDIT: Thinking about it, I would like to see if we would be able to find story forms for some of the older Disney Movies, e.g. Mary Poppins, Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, Aladdin… If I’m not wrong, the only Disney movies at dramatica.com are Tarzan, Pinocchio and Enchanted (not counting Pixar movies). Tangled is there as well, but is only considered a tale. Considering how much influence Disney has/had, it seems a bit weird how little movies by them are on there, especially compared to the amount of Dreamworks movies.
That said, what about Prince of Egypt?

It would help to have a word/logo/link/pdf/something/ that one could click on to see an alphabetical word list of the films that already have been analyzed, as one ponders a suggestion. I hope that makes sense. I want to suggest Lincoln Lawyer, but I could not remember if there had been an analysis. Then, I had to scrounge around to look for a list, which appears to be the film pictures. I think there was a title list, but things get complicated, leaving a reply hanging in the making while searching.

You could always try http://dramatica.com/analysis:smile:

That’s where I ended up! After scrolling lots of posters, I was seeing a need for a list, hence the post. I didn’t notice the Search option, forest for the trees, I guess. However, when I did a search now for lincoln lawyer, all I got was a blank white page. No results showed. Maybe, it was because I am using a macbook pro retina 15" 2012 os 10.9.4, or some such?

You should have received an error message like this:

Unfortunately there isn’t a title matching that criteria. Contact us if you would like to suggest a film or book for analysis. Sorry about that.

At least that’s what happen when I search for “lincoln lawyer”

I tried it with Safari, and the message appeared, ok. It must be a Firefox thing. Thanks for looking into it for me.

I just rewatched a movie lauded in its genre: North By Northwest. I’m guessing this has an OS in the Psychology domain, but it would be interesting to see.

1 Like

recently saw Moneyball again and i’d be surprised if one of the writers didn’t use Dramatica during the development of this great film. i’d love to see the storyform.

1 Like

In honor of the now late, great, Robin McLaurin Williams, I would like to see an analysis of “Dead Poets Society.”

4 Likes

I’d love to discuss The Secret of NIMH. I think there might be some trouble with the IC problem and solution (a swap between Temptation and Conscience), but otherwise I think it fits Dramatica storyforms splendidly.

I was thinking about Innerspace today, in light of last night’s Doctor Who episode, initially thinking it might be a broken story, as Jack Putter (Martin Short) is the obvious choice for MC and Tuck Pendleton (Dennis Quaid) is obviously the IC, and both Jack and Tuck seemed to change by the end of the story. Then I remembered that Tuck wore the shrinking and enlarging chips as cuff links at the end of the movie, leading Jack to run off to the rescue in the movie’s final moments. This strongly suggests that while Jack has certainly changed for the better, Tuck really hasn’t, which makes me hopeful that Innerspace is a full, working story in Dramatica terms.

School for scoundrels (the original one) would make a good movie for a Dramtica analysis. Also, as an adjunct to El Mariachi, the use of editing makes up for a lack of shooting resources.

School for scoundrels - The tennis match

The Robert Rodriguez 10 Minute Film School - Part 2 of 2

How about a fairly opaque Kubrick film like 2001 or Dr. Strangelove? I’d love to tackle either of those! Hell, even The Shining would be a challenge.

Edge of Tomorrow.

Many say it’s Groundhog Day, but is it?

Others say it’s Source Code, but is it?

How about doing not a single, not a double, but a triple analysis of those three films *** at the same time *** to try and isolate the differences between them, if there are any. Just a hunch, but this might provide a great insight into the Dramatica theory, no?

Edit: Might need a bigger whiteboard though…