New films for analysis?

I’d probably have to view it once more for a good analysis, but I’m game - just might not be available here and there as I have some travel scheduled soon.

2 Likes

The movie had some incredibly convenient holes and found that it failed to capitalize on the stakes. However, I have been reconsidering since I saw an old video on YouTube that explains how some movies don’t have complete “grand arguments” but only address one or two of the pillars — like Manipulation & Universe. Interesting enough, I haven’t been able to use the software to force the story to only work within this granulated view. Anybody have any ideas on this?

My idea would be not to spoil the film for people who haven’t seen it yet lol! I’ll break these out into a separate discussion and try not to read what you guys wrote. I really wanted to see it but missed it in theaters but I’m sure it would be a good one to do.

I see that Big is the first movie to be analyzed next year (starting in January). Has the full list of movies to be analyzed next year been developed yet?

No. That is being finalized this weekend (from suggestions listed here and elsewhere). They should be posted sometime next week.

I moved 2 posts to a new topic: Weiland’s Story Structure Database

I’d like to see Iron Giant. That clearly has choice in it.

1 Like

Iron Giant is timeless. Fortunately there’s already a story engine page for it:

http://dramatica.com/analysis/the-iron-giant

For more in-depth analysis, @jhull touches on the throughlines here:

1 Like

I don’t know how many people check the upcoming group meetings, but apparently the movies have been decided:

01.12: Big
02.09: Short Term 12
03.08: Leviathan
04.12: Inside Out (Previously: Song of the Sea)
05.01: Pitch Perfect (funnily enough: same storyform as Collateral and Finding Nemo)
06.14: Sophie’s Choice
07:12: Kramer vs Kramer
08.09: Stalag 17
09.13: Kingsman: The Secret Service
10.11: Ex Machina
11.08: Spotlight

I’m especially happy about the bolded ones. 6/11 is a pretty good ratio. I’m looking forward to this year of analyzing. Italized items are done.

Oh Good! Found it. This will have to be for next next year I guess.

1. Valentine’s Day - I would really love to see how a full ensemble story works out in Dramatica
  2. Firefly Episode – Out of Gas but part of the analysis would have to include looking at the storyweaving which is full of time jumps.

It is tempting to ask for ‘Jupiter Ascending’ because it would be very welcome to hear from someone who made any sense out of it :blush:

1 Like

Gattaca - I think it has some very solid elements of a complete storyform, although unfortunately much of it is lost in stuff that didn’t belong in there.

Game of thrones (Season 1), Cyrano de Bergerac, Forrest Gump? :wink:

Brooklyn
The Parent Trap (1998 version)
Happy Valley (BBC Drama - Season 2)
Silver Linings Playbook
Something’s Gotta Give
Howard’s End
Dolores Claiborne
The Third Man
Dr. Zhivago
All the President’s Men
Frozen River
Winter’s Bone
Three Days of the Condor

1 Like

The Third Man definitely needs to be done. I think I figured out (most) of the storyform, but that’s the one I definitely want to see done ‘officially’. I’m onboard with the others of your list, too. Particularly All the President’s Men.

1 Like

I’d like to suggest “It Follows” (2014). A very interesting and disturbing horror film written and directed by David Robert Mitchell. Currently 97% on Rotten Tomatoes.

I’d love to see an analysis of a film that contains more than one storyform (as is done with Jerry McGuire). It seems like the kind of structure that comes up quite often in novels and tv series (e.g. Game of Thrones) and it would be nice to see how that’s handled by the user group–how the number of storyforms is determined and approached, looking for completeness or incompleteness of those storyforms…etc.

2 Likes

Pretty sure Finding Nemo has two story forms.

5 posts were split to a new topic: Analysis of Gattaca

Just watched the new movie, The Witch, and was blown away by it. Wondering if any of you who have seen it feel it has a complete storyform worthy of analysis? (Might be a good one for Halloween time next year.)