New films for analysis?

Pretty sure Finding Nemo has two story forms.

5 posts were split to a new topic: Analysis of Gattaca

Just watched the new movie, The Witch, and was blown away by it. Wondering if any of you who have seen it feel it has a complete storyform worthy of analysis? (Might be a good one for Halloween time next year.)

I would love to see an analysis of the oldie-but-goodie A Man For All Seasons. It has one of my all-time favourite movie quotes (which I think is also in the original play):

Roper: So now you’d give the Devil benefit of law!
More: Yes. What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?
Roper: I’d cut down every law in England to do that!
More: Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country’s planted thick with laws from coast to coast — man’s laws, not God’s — and if you cut them down — and you’re just the man to do it — do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I’d give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety’s sake.

(source: https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Robert_Bolt )

EDIT: I just noticed @LunarDynasty nominated this one a while ago!

2 Likes

It’s not technically a film, but would anyone be interested in figuring out the storyform for ‘The Last of Us’? It is widely considered to be one of the best narratives in gaming.

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Analysis of The Last of Us

Have you seen Three Colors: Red? It’s my favorite of the trilogy. I saw it in the theater and it blew me away … thinking about the ending still sends chills up my spine. It’s been a long time since I watched it, but I can remember enough that all four throughlines seem clear.

I haven’t seen it yet! It’s on the long list that I have to get to, but you’re not the first to say it’s the best one. I would think maybe all three of the movies would have complete storyforms, might be something to look into in the future.

@jamjam1794 wants:

• Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
  • Three Colors: Blue
  • The Last Samurai
  • The Secret Life of Pets
  • Ghostbusters (2016)

Just a reminder everyone. Not everyone is interested in seeing your take on the storyform for a film in this thread. This is a respository for films that people might be interested in analyzing and for films that might be used for next year’s Users Group Meetings.

If you feel you want to share a particular storyform or discuss specific thematics please do so in a different thread. I’ve moved the Gattaca discussion and The Last of Us discussion to their own threads. That way, if you don’t want to have anything spoiled you won’t have to worry about the courtesy of others.

Thanks!

Would love to see analysis of Prisoners (2013) by Denis Villeneuve, Aaron Guzikowski. Feels like a very complete film, rewatchable. Curious who is the MC - sometimes it feels like its Hugh Jackman sometimes Jake Gyllenhaal. But maybe this feeling comes from a protagonist/MC split?

I’d like to nominate The Cabin in the Woods for a future Dramatica group analysis. And this is not because I have a whole potential analysis mapped out, because I don’t. But I have a few ideas that I consider interesting, and would like to see if others agree.

1 Like

A couple of lesser-known but awesome films by Hayao Miyazaki (of Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away fame):

• Kiki’s Delivery Service
  • Howl’s Moving Castle

There are a few movies I would like to suggest, either because they are personal favourites or they would resonate well with the story I’m trying to write:

1. Cashback (2006)
  2. Peaceful Warrior (2006)
  3. Money Monster (2016)
  4. The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
  5. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010)

Haha, Cashback always shows up on my Netflix as Recommended, but besides that I’ve never heard of it.

I’m pretty sure that Money Monster is a tale – think of how preachy it is.

You are probably right about Money Monster. But you should totally see Cashback. It is lesser known, but it is a gem (imho).

Hi Guys. Was wondering why we haven’t done the Hunger Games or Maze Runner or Divergent yet?
These are highly successful movies and books. It beats my imagination that we haven’t done those here yet. Just saying.

Have you read the books themselves? I only ask because “Ender’s Game” is pretty clearly a GAS in the book, but not in the movie. I’m curious which medium would be the best choice for these.

Yeah it is. The Book for Enders Game is definitely complete. The Movies for me. Not everyone here has or might read the books. The movies however may offer some lessons for all. For me personally I would like to see how us Dramatica users would review those movies. I’ve seen the reviews of other paradigms. Truby and co. Lets break them down shall we?

I can see the success in Hunger Games, but as far as I know, neither Divergent nor Maze Runner (the movies) were all that well received, and not just for being YA adaptations. Box Office success is a different matter, as Cameron’s Avatar was the most financially successful movie in recent history, but the story…?

So yeah, I would like to see a breakdown of Hunger Games, even if it wasn’t to my liking. Someone outside this community has done a superficial Dramatica Analysis before, but his other breakdowns (of Frozen and Fault in Our Stars) were heavily contested by the resident Dramatica Experts, so take it with a huge grain of salt.

@Jhull is discussion of whether nominated films are potentially complete GAS’s on-topic for this thread? Or should we be creating separate thread(s)?