New releases with or without complete storyforms

When deciding to spend money at the theater, I pretty much always take into account the chances that a movie will have a complete form. That said, I thought it might be nice to have a thread where we can tell others who might also take that into account. If knowing a movie doesn’t have a complete form might ruin the experience for you, let me know and I’ll abandon the idea. That said, I’m about to throw out the first one below.

2 Likes

I don’t think there’s much of a storyform for Mary Poppins Returns at all. There’s a thin thread of OS conflict that flows throughout, but that’s about it. There’s some conflict that I thought might turn into an MC throughline, but I’m not sure it ever really played out. There is a character that wanted to influence others, but I wouldn’t say that made them a proper influence character. Could be my blind spot, but I’d say there was no RS. Really, as far as structure goes, it just felt really weak to me. The Movie really just wanted to show you some song and dance numbers and remind you that Mary Poppins was a thing. My wife and children, however, claim to have loved it.

If you’re looking for a storyform in theaters, I’d say Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is the best film to see right now.

As for Mary Poppins, maybe there isn’t a storyform, but it is certainly possible your family could have loved it. I personally loved The Greatest Showman, and basically everyone else I know loves it (even the people who dislike musicals). However, when it comes to a complete storyform, the film doesn’t seem to have one.

4 Likes

I think Ralph Breaks the Internet was already said to be incomplete and to lack of an antagonist. The family wanted to see it, though, so we went. The ending didn’t feel like the same movie as the beginning. It’s like they got a little over halfway through and remembered that product placement wasn’t enough to make people emotional and threw on a contrived ending and went to lunch. The kids liked it. Wife and I thought it was okay but got bored, and I expected to love it even knowing it was incomplete.

Also, I just saw Predator. All tale.

Anyone think Bumblebee has a complete form? I’m guessing not, but curious.

Full warning: I loved Mary Poppins Returns (though that is likely because, as a Brit, it is my childhood and because I also adore Emily Blunt), and it took the number one spot on my favourites of 2018 list – which tends to be reserved for movies that me feel extremely happy over anything else, e.g. Paddington 2 or La La Land. So I may be just a little biased…

I think there’s enough of a storyform to identify the major ‘notes’, but I think you’re right – it’s more about bringing joy than telling a complete story. The OS is the most obvious Obtaining story ever (‘Get the Money to Save the Banks House’), the IC literally flies in to influence those around her to live a little, etc.

But I mentioned something in the Dramatica Discord that I found fascinating, which is that MPR has what appears to be an MC hand-off (which I don’t ever recall seeing before). It’s introduced as Michael Banks who is grieving the loss of his wife and has become ‘too grown-up’ in his approach to life, and all of this then shifts to the kids for the majority of the movie (who similarly have become too ‘intellectual’), before shifting back to Michael right at the end. So you have this arc that they share of characters who start off ‘too grown-up’ and eventually learn to embrace their inner child.

So, to that extent, there is enough that I can identify to make me think there might be something there – especially since the movie clearly makes an argument. But I don’t know how much of a storyform is there. I just can’t wait to watch it again, I loved it.

3 Likes

I’ve seen these (somewhat) recent releases.

I would wager these do NOT have a complete story:
The Nun
Bohemian Rhapsody
Mile 22
Mission Impossible Fallout
Ant Man & the Wasp
Hotel Artemis
Ocean’s 8
Tag
Isle of Dogs
Hurricane Heist
Super Troopers 2
Tomb Raider
Pacific Rim Uprising
Cloverfield Paradox
Extinction
Anon
Annihilation (…of Coherence)

I’d wager these do have a complete story:
Creed 2
Blackkklansman
The Land of Steady Habits
Uncle Drew
Tully
Blockers
Chappaquiddick
Beirut
Baby Driver
Game Night (my favorite of the recent past)

I’m more unsure about these, but I’m leaning toward yes or “close enough:”
Unsane
Wheelman

4 Likes

Can confirm Black Klansman. Saw it last night—fantastic.