Old terminology for DSE is the best!

Hi all, I just saw Hacksaw Ridge. Wow! What a great movie. I was doing a storyform of my own as I watched. Missed a few points but hey, that’s what makes one better ain’t it. I struggled with some of the finer points in the thematic side of the story. That is, until I switched to the original terms and the storyform lit up like a neon signpost. The term symptom isn’t bad but when I saw the switch to “Focus”, and Response to Direction. It was so much clearer. Anyway I’ve decided to stick with these terms forever. Stay blessed.

1 Like

Psychology & Mind, forever!

1 Like

Any chance a patch could be released for Dramatica that would use the old terminology? Better yet, a patch that allowed a toggle switch to choose whichever you are comfortable with?

I can’t say whether or not the new terminology is detrimental to my process or not. I don’t imagine it is, but…

The good news is there’s a way to switch to old terminology. But you can’t pick and choose.

What’s the way to switch? Download a file and replace it in your Dramatica program folder?

It’s under Edit>Preferences>Term Swap

Focus and Direction works SO MUCH better, especially for a film like Hacksaw Ridge. Realize this is an older post, but I’be been thing a lot about older more accurate terminology.

Considering the Narrative Element of Uncontrolled

More Evidence of Free as an Element of Narrative

Day Three of Clarity with the Elements of Stoty Structure

That’s what I meant by toggle switch. Thanks for the information, I found it. I don’t think the new terminology confuses me, but…

It’s not necessarily that the new terminology is confusing–it’s actually meant to be more user-friendly to the uninitiated–but that it’s too constricting. Read The Fugitive: When A Situation Isn’t A Situation to see how limiting/reducing a problematic Universe to a problematic Situation can cause confusion.

The Universe is an all encompassing environment…Situation is what you’re stuck in while in the Universe environment. I imagine there is more thought subtlety with Universe. Situation kind of pushes for commitment in the writing. That is not, necessarily, a bad thing.

1 Like

I haven’t tried to analyze any Storyforms, and I’m not so sure that I am interested in doing it either, but I think finding the right Class is reasonably easy:

Universe exists:

• independent of what I or anybody else think/thinks;

• independent of how I or anybody else think/thinks;

• independent of what I or anybody else do/does.

So, if an inequity is created by a physical state of being (whether corporeal or environmental), it is in the Universe Class.

Physics exists:

• independent of how I, anybody, or the world am/is.

So, if an inequity is created by a physical activity (corporeal), it is in the Physics Class.

Mind exists:

• independent of what I or someone else do/does;

So, if an inequity is created by a mental state of being, it is in the Mind Class.

Psychology exists:

• independent of what I or anybody else do/does.

So, if an inequity is created by a mental activity, it is in the Psychology Class.