OSX 10.11 El Capitan compatibility?

Yeah, I know, it’s a beta OS, but is anyone running OS X 10.11 El Capitan on their macs? Does it play well with DSE?

Don’t mean to sound impatient, but just wondering if there’s any update on El Capitan compatibility yet…

An absolutely terrible, TERRIBLE and horrendous install. I’ve spent over three hours messing with my laptop after it was “estimated” 25 minutes to install after downloading. Everything is running way, way way too slow. If I had another issue like this with Apple, I’d seriously consider ditching them. That bad of an experience.

Sorry to hear that. I’ve had nothing but a great experience with Apple, so… is DSE compatible with it? There were issues with 32bit apps, which Dramatica is, during the beta phase. I know Keith Blount released a new version of Scrivener for the OS release. Would love to know if Dramatica will / needs one.

Dramatic appears to be working ok. Unfortunately Final Draft (v8) appears to have changed the font styles/sizes. I’ll have to check and see if they were aware of any issues.

For those using Final Draft 8 and upgrading to El Capitan, go to this link here for the direct download of the Courier Final Draft Font that needs to be installed. I went through their questions database and found an answer given but with the wrong link. This is the right one:

http://kb.finaldraft.com/article/1001/5328/

Thanks for letting us know. Will make the plunge as everything else on my end is already confirmed, by the developers, to be El Capitan ready.

I have searched through this forum and the web and am still not completely sure if Dramatica Story Expert for Mac is fully compatible with Mac OS X 10.11.2 El Capitan and would appreciate any feedback.

It runs on El Capitan, but the help button doesn’t seem to be able to access…

file:///Applications/Dramatica Story Expert/Help/index.html

…anymore. I assume this is a limitation imposed by Apple in the new OS.

Also, I don’t recommend putting the computer to sleep with Dramatica running. Trying to work with it after waking from sleep can be problematic (app seems to hang when trying to save project, etc.). Always best to quit the app between sessions. Other than that, it works like a charm.

@Jerome Thanks for the reply and all seems to be working fine with DSE except for the help file not opening up and definitely will always try to remember to quit DSE between sessions.

It seems like you are having the same issue with the help file not opening up in DSE which I also posted about at: Dramatica Story Expert Getting Started Window Problem.

Interestingly, looking through ‘file:///Applications/Dramatica Story Expert/Help/index.html’ file and the parent folder it seems that the same information is available from DSE Documentation.

I believe this DSE help manual was built using the Help+Manual app so maybe like what you were saying there is an incompatibility with Help+Manual and El Capitan, but it would be a nice feature to be able to access the help file within the app and not have to open up another document.

That the button doesn’t work is no biggy, really. I just created a bookmark in Safari that leads to the Dramatica help.

@Jerome Thanks, I created a Safari bookmark to the link below to access ‘New User of Dramatica Story Expert’ and ‘Help > Help Topics’ and all works well.

file:///Applications/Dramatica%20Story%20Expert/Help/index.html

Interestingly opening this bookmark in Google Chrome does not work and instead just flashes between the two files below.

file:///Applications/Dramatica%20Story%20Expert/Help/dpro5_content.htm

I looked further into this issue and it seems to be related to how Specifying the Path to a File or Directory was set-up when ‘Dramatica Story Expert.app’ was developed with the below caveats excerpted from this link are below.

All of the following entries are valid references to a file called MyFile.txt in a user’s Documents directory:
Path-based URL: file://localhost/Users/steve/Documents/MyFile.txt
File reference URL: file:///.file/id=6571367.2773272/
String-based path: /Users/steve/Documents/MyFile.txt

Important: Although they are safe to use while your app is running, file reference URLs are not safe to store and reuse between launches of your app because a file’s ID may change if the system is rebooted. If you want to store the location of a file persistently between launches of your app, create a bookmark as described in Locating Files Using Bookmarks.

That is, ‘Dramatica Story Expert.app’ uses the below ‘File reference URLs’ for the ‘New User of Dramatica Story Expert’ and ‘Help > Help Topics’ and these ‘File reference URLs’ might not be persistent and according to some forums these underlying details might have changed in Mac OS X 10.11.2 El Capitan from previous versions, but I have yet to see anything official.

So for ‘New User of Dramatica Story Expert’ I believe we have the below.

• File: Dramatica Story Expert Help
  • Path-based URL: file:///Applications/Dramatica%20Story%20Expert/Help/art_and_craft_of_story.htm
  • File reference URL: file:///.file/id=6571367.110784469
  • String-based path: /Applications/Dramatica Story Expert/Help/art_and_craft_of_story.htm

So for ‘Help > Help Topics’ I believe we have the below.

• File: Dramatica Story Expert Help
  • Path-based URL: file:///Applications/Dramatica%20Story%20Expert/Help/index.html
  • File reference URL: file:///.file/id=6571367.109818569
  • String-based path: /Applications/Dramatica Story Expert/Help/index.html

Regardless, creating a Safari bookmark to the link below to access ‘New User of Dramatica Story Expert’ and ‘Help > Help Topics’ and all works well, but it would be a nice feature to be able to access these help files within the app and not have to open up another document.