Pixar’s Cars analysis

It doesn’t really come off as Lightning hindering himself for me. If it’s MC Lightning’s problem, it feels more like taking a risk causes his problem. Not sure what element would best describe “taking a risk” but probably not hindering.

Having said that, I guess I could see it like the Storymind is saying Lightning is unknowingly hindering himself or his team rather than being consciously driven to hinder, and that’s what causes the problem. I think that reasoning is valid, but it feels a bit like reaching to make it work in this case.

Huh. Just watched that scene…again…and that works pretty well.

So is refusing to be hindered by tire changes a Do-er thing or a Be-er thing, and why? I don’t see any emotional effort to adapt in that scene (just like I didn’t see hinder very well until a few minutes ago) so I’m thinking that he is adapting the environment to his need to be fast in that the environment calls for a change in tires, but he is using old ones instead.

Going by that alone, what would Lightning’s Universe problem be in that scene? Or is that still an OS scene?

Can it be both?

• OS in that it stops him from winning the race
  • MC in that it leads to his crew quitting (which illustrates his personal alienation of “being a one-man show”)

If it’s an MC/Do-er/Universe scene, what would his Universe problem here be? If it were an MC/Be-er/Mind scene, I’d say his fixation on being as fast as he could be was the Domain problem, but I just don’t know what Universe problem he’d have. If it’s strictly an OS/Physics scene, it’s probably fine with an OS Physics Gist of trying to win the race and this OS SP has two examples of Hinder in it.

Could “Being Isolated” be a gist for Universe? (I see that “Being Alone” is).

Certainly the MC Universe argument seems more clear once he gets stuck in Radiator Springs.

Hey guys, I don’t think I ever saw the whole film so I’m just chiming in with a few ideas after I saw the cool question about Help / Hinder. (I did read a synopsis on IMDB)

First, could Lightning’s Universe problem be “I’m stuck with a lame sponsor and crappy pit crew that’s not worthy of my awesome talents”? That might motivate him to skip the pit stops.

Although it’s fine to have smaller examples of the domain that fit under the big “stuck situation” or “bad state universe”, we do need to be careful here. For an MC in Universe they need to have one thing that they’re stuck in or with from the beginning until the resolution of their throughline. (I asked this very question here.)

1 Like

That’s what I’m looking at. He doesn’t get stuck in Radiator Springs for a few more scenes. There’s a gist along the lines of “Being the new person” for Universe, and Lightning is a rookie, but I don’t know if he has problems from being a rookie. It’s tempting to look at the blown tire problem as an MC Lightning problem, but may work better to think of it as an OS Lightning problem.

I guess it could be that being a rookie is a problem because it means making dumb choices about tire changes, but I don’t feel like I’m getting that message from the movie.

1 Like

How about, having to live with subconscious guilt for standing (driving) by while The King suffers the same fate as Doc?

Well, the conflict in OS Signpost 1 is that they had a race to settle on a winner and they didn’t get a winner out of it! That’s a total obtaining conflict. Take away the need to have a winner (like once of those toddler soccer games where no one keeps score) and this signpost 1 conflict is gone.

Maybe the OS Signpost 4 of Doing is telling us that by the final act there’s conflict coming from more than just obtaining – objectively, winning the cup isn’t all they’re worried about or driven by anymore. It’s this whole activity of racing that’s causing trouble – the fact that you can get damaged/injured, the idea of needing to be sportsmanlike even while you’re trying to win, etc. Maybe even, not being able to enjoy the racing or do well at it without your friends alongside you. That kind of thing.

(Feel free to toss any of my ideas since I only read the synopsis; just thought you guys could use some support as it seemed you got a good storyform and then started to doubt it!)

1 Like

I was thinking it might be time to “phone a friend” on this :slight_smile:

I think (correct me if I’m wrong @Gregolas and @Hunter) - we’re all pretty good with OS of Physics, Failure/Good, Change character.

And I think at the element level Help/Hinder make a lot of sense.

There have been some questions of whether the MC might be in Mind rather than Universe, since it does seem that he has kind of fixed attitudes about a lot of things. I am not convinced, mainly because I have trouble seeing him as a Be-er. In our original (MC in Universe) storyform, we have his Issue in Preconception, which I think kind of covers the things that might look like Mind issues.

But that still leaves us with the question of how to illustrate how his personal issues are in Universe, from the very beginning of the story.

And the Decision vs. Action driver which we never resolved.

1 Like

That works for me! I think it fits the whole thematic argument of the movie too.

Mmmaybe? Except, I don’t really see how having a lame sponsor is a problem. The closest it gets it “I don’t like rusty cars, but being the spokesperson for Rust-eze means being around rusty cars.” I guess that’s a problem, sort of, but…hm. And it’s never really said that he has a crappy pit crew, or that the crew is causing him problems. It’s more like his attitude that he is a one-man show causes his crew to get angry and quit. It’s also suggested several times that no one wants to work with him because he thinks he’s a one-man show.

I think it may be starting to click for me after reading through some of your suggestions. If the Goal is to Obtain the Piston Cup, then OS SP 1 probably isn’t also Obtaining the cup, but, rather, obtaining first place. I can see that as being problematic because every time someone does something to get in the lead (first Chick, and then Lightning) it ends up with them falling behind (when Lightning doesn’t pit and gets into first, and then when Lightning passes on tire changes and lets Chick and the King catch up). So that does feel like Obtaining (Goal) through Obtaining (Sign Post). And then SP 4 problems are less about trying to get into first and more about dealing with being pushed off the track and drifting and driving backwards. (Again, hindering Lightning by pushing him off the track isn’t a problem for Lightning who drifts into first place, but a problem for Chick who is then in third). So that could be Obtaining through Doing.

So still thinking about MC in Universe, I looked back at the theory book.

If the Main Character’s Througline is Situation … questions like the following would arise: What is it like to be in my situation? What is my status? What condition am I in? Where am I going to be in the future? What’s so special about my past?

Thinking aloud:

Lightning is driven by his self-perceived status; his desire for status and his attitude toward it creates all of his problems, and that starts at the beginning of the movie. He thinks he’s above everyone, especially his crew, which is how missing the first pit stop is an MC issue as well as an OS one. As an OS character, his goal is to win the Piston Cup. His personal goal, however, is to change his status.

This still feels very internal to me. But I can see that there is some status there with him being the rookie and the media flocking to him after the race rather than Chick and wanting to see the bolt.

But if everything in the first race were OS, then it shouldn’t matter that Lightning isn’t having Universe problems because at that point he would be an OS character and not the MC character, right? On the whole, I want to say he has more Universe problems than mind problems, but those Mind problems still feel very present. If lots of other people are also feeling this Universe/Mind mix, maybe that could be part of the reason for the lower RT score (though I think it has more to do with that slow SP 3).

1 Like

Don’t forget that both Issues we’ve chosen (Attitude and Preconception) are Mind-oriented Variations.

1 Like

This thread just keeps on going, doesn’t it?

Okay, so I’ll start thinking of all the mind problems as being thematic in mature. Preconception/Attitude - “I’m a race car, dang it! Treat me like a famous person!”

Could problems of the Past have anything to do with the appearance at the Rust-eze tent? Lightning wants this high profile status, and that’s a problem because he’s stuck being a spokesman for a lame, small medicated bumper ointment company where he must be surrounded by rusty cars?

(Edit: this would have to do with the past in that he has a past relationship with Rust-eze that he contractually can’t get out of)

1 Like

Cool! Plus, isn’t using ointment to cover up your rust kind of like covering up your past, hiding your age, that kind of thing? “Ughh. I hate rusty cars. All this Past is not good for my image”

Question for you guys. If you’re still a bit stuck on Do-er vs. Be-er MC (and I can see why), can you look at the IC? Not sure if that’s mostly Doc or anyone else, but maybe it would be simpler to see if they’re a Do-er or a Be-er.

1 Like

This brings me back to a question I’ve had before and never asked because it didn’t seem like a very important distinction when I could just go for the most dramatic option available. But my first thought was “the Past is not good for my image” seems like conflict, but not necessarily a problem. As far as Dramatica and Jim and all are concerned, are conflict and problem interchangeable? Are problems worse than conflict? If they aren’t the same, is conflict enough, or does it need to be a bigger problem? Or am I getting it backwards and it’s not enough to have a problem because there needs to be more conflict?

This is a good idea. Except I would get into all the nit picky overthinking just as much. Is the IC supposed to be a Be-er, or is it more about how he’s influencing the Do-er MC to be a Be-er? Does Doc have a fixed Mind, is he influencing Lightning’s Mind? He seems to be influencing Lightning’s Situation. He’s the one that sentences Lightning to fix the road and makes sure he only has a gallon of gas. Isn’t that an IC throughline of Universe?

By the way, I definitely think Doc feels like a Be-er. “Get that race car out of my town! What? Have him fix the road? Okay, whatever. Have him fix the road!”

I figured the King’s speech was OS Attitude v Approach. I feel like I may be reaching rather than using what’s in the movie, but I’m thinking when Doc comes into the court room and sees Lightning, he remembers being a race car and what it was like for him and wants Lightning out of his courtroom. The audience wouldn’t know until later in the film that it was a memory behind this-as opposed to a preconscious reflex stemming from a prejudice against race cars or something-until it’s revealed in a later SP.