Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Hey everyone!

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, and in the Becker household that means it’s time for our annual tradition of watching the Steve Martin and John Candy road comedy Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

Will anyone else be doing the same? I think it has four clear throughlines and clear dynamics.

So what do you say? Anyone want to hop the “people train” out of Stubbsville and keep the holiday film analyses rolling? :smile:

1 Like

We’ve got the exact same tradition and would love to keep the analysis going!

Definitely an RS between Martin and Candy.

1 Like

Great minds, Mr. Dusenberry. Great minds. :smile:

1 Like

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

Here are some general impressions from my annual viewing:

• Like Elf, there is no clear antagonist. I’d never thought about this before when watching, but it stood out this time.

• Thinking genre-ally (trademark @jhull) the comedy felt very external to me.

• There’s a lot of heavier, drama-type stuff going on. Especially between Neal and Del. My start / stop sense is still not completely honed though. I’d lean toward stop but not 100%

• Triumphant ending, but we all knew that.

• They state there are two days until Thanksgiving begins, but it doesn’t feel like a hard time limit. Options are in the title. :smile:

• I’d wager action for driver. All the turning points are completely out of their hands (the blizzard, the theft, the train breaking down, the car fire, the car getting impounded)

I realized this will be the second John Hughes movie done online. I’ll be interested to see what similarities and differences there are with Home Alone.

Any other general (or genre-al) feelings?

Nice observations!
I do think overall the film is too lighthearted overall to be in one of the heavier quads.

I would put my money on Upper Right, especially given that Del has so many impulsive responses that affect Neal (jumping in to take his cab, ripping off socks on the plane, the bathroom disaster, nightly noises, beers on the bed, etc etc)

Overall Story general: Struggles taking planes, trains and automobiles home for the holidays.
MC: Neal stuck traveling with the new friend from Hell, and/or Mother Nature/Happenstance standing between him and his family.

1 Like

Also, agree about Action, Option, Success, Good, and most probably Stop.

MC Neal, Changed, Linear, Do-er

1 Like

Glad we got the dynamics hammered out so fast. :smile:

I didn’t mean to imply heaviness in the concerns. Just meant that in regards to growth.

I’d agree that Neal and Del seem to be on the Universe / Mind continuum. They’re both guys who are stuck in some sense. And they share the commonality of being away from home during the Holidays.

With that, did you want to go for the lightning round and jump straight to the bottom of the chart? :smile:

Maybe it would be easier to talk in non-Dramatica terms. What do you think the problem is and what solves it?

Everyone seems to be in their own worlds and not caring about others. Almost out for themselves or inconsiderate of other’s needs.

• the Lawyer and the cab
  • the Braidwood Inn guy not paying attention and switching the cards
  • the Marathon lady who refuses Neal
  • the Motel Clerk who won’t give them a room unless they have a few bucks and a nice watch
  • the State Trooper who impounds their car.

It’s like there’s always this appeal to people’s good nature, and it never works. :smile:

The solution has to be something with Neal realizing Del is homeless and bringing him home with him.

Yeah, it seems like the thing that ends up saving the day is some form of altruism. He’s trying to appeal to people’s good nature, but it’s always to benefit himself. It’s not until he starts thinking of what’s best for others (particularly Del, putting all the pieces together about the details of Del that saves the day)

So if we’re gonna jump to the bottom, we’re agreeing:

MC Neal, Changed
Stop
Do-er
Linear

Action
Option
Success
Good

MC: Universe > Progress
IC: Mind > Preconscious
RS: Psychology > Being

??

Awesome! We may get to a storyform before Jim has time to microwave his leftovers. :smile:

That shot of them carrying the trunk together toward the house is the first time he’s helping Del with no ulterior motive. That really stood out to me.

I’d not worry too much about concerns right now. If we nail the bottom they’ll all fall into place. I’d agree those are concerns or benchmarks, for sure though.

So, taking that line of thought, what dynamic pair feels good to you as problem and solution? Maybe we could list a few options if nothing pops out and narrow them down.

I need to walk the dog and I’ll be back with some thoughts. :thumbsup:

ETA: I agree on domains.

1 Like

The ones that pop out to me right off the bat are Non-accurate, Accurate.

Intolerable situations and people, which moves to things being tolerable, tolerating.

Looking at it again, I could actually see the Concerns I thought as the Benchmarks for sure. Thinking about Del… I guess it’s not so much that he’s impulsive (which he is, but that’s not what’s driving him…) I feel like what’s really driving him is this feeling of wanting to connect with someone. He’s looking to fill that hole in his heart left by the death of his wife.

I could see that. Neal definitely has a low tolerance for others. Not being held to upper right domains, is there anything else that would feel strong to you? I just want to get everything on the table.

Off the top of my head, without looking at the chart …

• Hinder / Help: Everyone is indirectly stopping Neal from getting home. Neal reaches out to Del in the end.

• Temptation / Conscience: All the bribing, and pleading, and deal making. Neal thinks of Del instead of trying to do the expedient thing.

• Consider / Reconsider: Everyone is inconsiderate, when Neal thinks back to everything that Del said, he is able to see what’s really going on.

• Self-Aware / Aware: Everyone is in their own worlds, only out for themselves. When Neal stops with the “me, me me” stuff, he is able to help Del.

Just saw this. That’s why I was hesitant to commit to concerns. :smile: Like I said, if we nail the bottom level, concerns should work themselves out.

1 Like

Those all feel pretty good to me too.

Logic/Feeling also jump out to me… exhausting all the logical ways to get out of the situation, until the emotional heartfelt response is the thing that truly tips things. Which feels very John Hughes to me.

Weirdly enough, that scene when they’re laughing and drinking together in the last motel room seems like the moment where Neal really changes. He switches to just enjoying the crazy ride. And the following scene he’s just as into the madness/chaos as Del has been.

Narrowing in on what the source of conflict…
Self-Aware/Aware jumps out at me… though that would make Past a problem for Neal… not sure that works.

Temptation/Conscience feels good to me too, but is the bribing and deal-making really the source of their conflict? That feels more like a Focus/Direction to me, if anything.

Hmmmm…

1 Like

Good call! “This car is not fit for highway travel”, you have to have your renter’s agreement, you’ll never make this six, “Why not try the airlines. It’s faster and you get a free meal”. Lots of rules and logistics and very little heart… Let’s add it to the list!

“I’ve been spending too much time away from home”. He’s missed out on his children’s big moments. Maybe that kind of thing?

I guess maybe a better way to say that is, no one is willing to do anything for anyone else unless there’s something in it for them. That kind of thing.

Unless some other possibilities pop up, we’re down to six possible storyforms. Not bad for 12 posts of discussion. :smile:

Yes, exactly that. Which wouldn’t be the source of their problems. That would be the things the characters are focused on and the direction they take. Until it’s broken down to the real source of conflict.

Check out the Signpost order when you plug in Logic as the OS/MC problem. What do you think?

OS problem of Logic–“choosing the most efficient course or explanation based on reason” … or “We should take a Plane” Didn’t work. “We should take a Train.” Didn’t work. “We should take an Auto!” REALLY didn’t work.

MC problem of Logic-- Neal looks at the guy sleeping in the airport–Uhh, yeah yeah I’ll get a room with you. That sounds good. Not gonna sleep on the floor! Etc.

1 Like

I agree, that signpost order feels really strong. I like Progress as benchmark for Neal and Preconscious as a benchmark for Del (he’s always causing Neal to lose his shi*t :smile:)

Consider and Reconsider feel good for symptom and response. “I’ve been wearing the same underwear since Tuesday”.

I like Delay as a unique ability for Neal. He’s constantly being Delayed and then chooses to Delay his return home to check on Del.

I’d say that feels pretty good overall.

Here’s what I got throwing it in Subtext. :smile:

Oh dang, yeah that feels really good. When I plugged it in, I also saw “gain a new family member” for Obtaining Objective Premise. Which also feels in the ball park.

This does feel pretty good!
Really like Delay for Neal, and Hope for Del.

And now for @jhull to swoop in and tell us we’re completely wrong. Hahaha.

2 Likes

Right. :smile: How could we not have seen the problem as Induction?!

Playing around with a bit, I settled on “Give up being rational and you can bring everyone home”, which feels pretty great to me.

This was really fun, John. Less than twenty posts to a storyform, too! Thanks for joining in with me.

Jim, we await your Dramatica Expert sweep kick. :slight_smile: