Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Skipping to the bottom here, so no spoilers - sorry, haven’t rewatched it yet. I made the mistake of trying to watch The Irishman instead last night and fell asleep halfway through :laughing:

Just woke up now, so I’ll check it out right away and catch up.

1 Like

Absolutely! Super fun. And such a great movie. Glad to find more like-minded people with the same holiday tradition!

Though… something about the other details of the storyform feels slightly off… I think we’re at least pretty close…

Check it out: What if it’s Consider/Reconsider (no pun intended) gets almost the same signpost order…

And check out the premise:
“Give up being inconsiderate and you can bring everyone home”
That feels a LOT more like Neil and the OS.

Still Unique Ability of Delay for Neil
Still Hope for Del

MC Focuses on Faith – appealing to people’s good nature, but Direction: remaining skeptical or distrusting.
Which is really cool. It’s like, as a symptom of his problem, he wants to have faith in others, but because it’s a bit off, he always moves to that place of distrust.

And I think you were right earlier… It’s really when Neil reconsiders that the solution starts to arrive.

1 Like

Considering

“Anyone willing to pay $50 for a cab would surely pay $75”
“Not necessarily…”

“Do you really think this vehicle is fit for the highway?”
“Yes, officer, I really do.”
:joy:

“Would you consider taking 12 bucks and my watch?!”

“OMG, we were robbed!”
“YA THINK?!”

etc. etc.

1 Like

Yes, I was really angling for inconsiderate at the start, so that feels great to me. :smile:

I’m not sure about Control for Del. Unless it’s he hates when people are controlling. (Like Neal :smile: ).

I like Help and Hinder in the RS, for sure.

Faith seems like an odd one for me, but the more I think about it, I could see it. He always seems to think things will work out, and of course, they never do. Disbelief feels good for his constant incredulity at what’s going on.

We’re definitely in the ballpark. I’ll throw my hat in with you for the Consider storyform and we’ll see where Jim lands later. :thumbsup:

1 Like

Isn’t it Del who comes up with all the alternative plans?
He says he knows the hotel owner… was it he who suggested the train? he rents the car… he’s driving the car the wrong way… he’s the one who gets the big rig… insists he pays for the meal… and he subtly controls the events so they’re together. Coming from his source of drive…

I hear you. I think as the IC perspective it’s more about him harping on Neal for being uptight all the time. But those all seem valid too.

1 Like

Speaking of consider/inconsiderate…

“I don’t appreciate the way you’re speaking to me.”

“And I don’t appreciate the way your company left me in the middle of fing nowhere with fing keys to a fing car that isn’t fing there. I also don’t appreciate having to walk across a highway and a fing runway to get back here and have you smile in my fing face.”

“You’re f***ed” :joy:

1 Like

Oh also, what Considering in the very first scene with the boss taking forever looking over which design to do?! Haha. (Which btw, I never knew there was a post credits button at the end of the movie, back to that guy still stuck looking over the proofs?

1 Like

I forgot about that one! He makes Neal late because he’s literally weighing his options. Great catch!

So am I right in assuming your storyform is:

Martin is Logic
Del is Feeling?

Or is it:

Martin is Consider
Del is Reconsider

So the movie is about how weighing pros and cons is a bad thing???

Is Consider only weighing pros and cons? We had gravitated toward “being inconsiderate”

That’s Conscious. Consider is actually the process of considering things.

Well, if it’s only weighing pros and cons then we have the wrong storyform.

I think we both saw being inconsiderate in the premise on Subtext. Is that an incorrect gist then?

So @jhull, would you recommend we solve for the concerns first, and then skip down to the bottom?

We had been toying with Upper Right or Bottom Left

Yes. If inconsiderate is there, I’m not sure that is correct.

I agree with the Genre - some kind of physical comedy, so the OS is definitely in the external domains

But I would probably look to other characters beside the primary two to figure out the actual OS problem

Think what:

• potential cab rider
  • cabbie
  • hotel night manager
  • ticket counter lady
  • truck driver

What do they all have in common as far as generating conflict…

They all have specific rules they have to follow that somehow inhibits them from helping, or posing limitations on the effort to help them.

• cab rider: you gotta pay me more to take my place
  • cabbie: I’ll take you, but the long way to see the scenery at 2am
  • pick-up truck driver: you gotta let my wife carry your bags, and sit in the back with the dog
  • hotel night manager: I can’t take less money… I’m not the owner
  • ticket counter lady: If you don’t have your papers, you’re f**ked
  • truck driver: I’ll give you a ride, but you gotta ride with the cheese.
1 Like

I think you pretty much nailed it.

So… that all sounds like Preconditions.
Which would mean the OS is in … Learning?!

What is the whole purpose of the story?

I mean… it seems like John Hughes was mostly writing about this crazy journey that brought together two unlikely friends. Maybe learning that there’s more than meets the eye to someone?

2 Likes