Plot Sequence Report

We recently analyzed The Wrath of Khan and as we argued points we would look below the appreciations to back our argument for it, i.e. when choosing a concern we would look below to the issues to see if they ‘felt’ right. and so on down to the problem/solution. So I question the wisdom in using the plot sequence report to argue a storyform.

Unless, you specify that you are using the PSR and arguing from a purely subjective POV (what it feels like to be inside the story)

In this link to a reply [Dramatica.com Q&A reply to a question regarding the Plot Sequence Report][1] it says:

The reason we did not include more views/insights into the screwed up view of things from inside the story is because it is very difficult to analyze your story from that perspective, largely due to the completely subjective nature of the perspective. Also, most writers have more difficulty getting some objectivity on their material than they do getting inside their material—particularly during the analytical phase of writing. Armando (Mora), however, gives some very practical tips on using the “messed up view” provided by the Plot Sequence Report to create scenes.

Can one analyze a story with the PSR? Is the PSR purely an Overall Story subjective POV for the Overall Characters?
[1]: http://dramatica.com/questions/how-do-i-make-sense-of-the-plot-sequence-report

What exactly do you mean by that? More specifically, what’s “an overall story subjective POV?”

It’s a phrase I made up, “Is the Plot Sequence report only subjective for the Overall Story objective characters’ point of view?". (I should stop typing late at night) but I guess I was speaking in response to reading the Q&A reply(referred to above) It is said that a Plot Sequence Report is representative of a storyform out of balance (screwed up) and represents how the characters experience the story from inside the story (subjective) but the MC throughline is already subjective, so what is the difference suppose to be in the MC throughline in a Plot Sequence storyform? (I have a feeling I am going down a rabbit hole purely unnecessary but more that I am confused by the PSR)

I guess I propose distinguishing when using the PSR to analyze, something like:

• Plot Sequence Report >Wrath of Khan>MC>Signpost 4> act four illustrates “what has already happened” (The Past) and is explored in terms of State of Being, Situation, Circumstances, and Sense of Self. Captain Kirk comes to terms with his past in his perception of himself(sense of self) and his true nature(state of being). Kirk feels very emotional about being part of the Enterprise and his friend Spock with whom he has just come face-to-face with death and laid him to rest (circumstances) and he finds himself as Captain of the Enterprise again full of life and youthful sense of adventure (situation).

vs.

• Straight Analysis>Wrath of Khan>MC>Signpost 4> The Past>viewed in terms of Prediction, Fate, Destiny, and Interdiction. Kirks goal of the Future comes full circle with his Past. Kirk feels young again and seems to have a predetermination of his future state of affairs (Prediction). He has interceded with normal destiny of natural course of an officer to move up the ranks and away from adventure (Interdiction). At this moment his Fate is clear. To sit at the helm of the Enterprise and as he looks out at the newly created planet and feeling young he sees the future path he must take (Destiny).

These both work for me. Maybe this is not a fair example because it’s at the end of the story when conflict is resolved and balance is being restored (in this throughline example) personally to Captain Kirk.

Am I making any sense (because I know that is a problem I have—I speak or write and others think “huh?”) Does anyone else wonder how this works. How can we analyze our stories with a straight theme browser but (and only when you have a single storyformcan you get a PSR) get a PSR and look back at the story through that report’s eyes.

Yeah, kinda feels like a rabbit hole there. The way I see it, the theme browser is the Dramatica alphabet and the plot sequence report is the appropriate arrangement of the alphabet created by the choices made through the story engine.

In other words, the theme browser is always ABCDEFGHIJKL…, but the plot sequence report is the proper arrangement of the letters that express the story I’m writing / analysing.

Another way of looking at it is, if one used the theme browser exclusively, then every story would have the same beats.

Does that make sense?

@Jerome Yes it does make sense. So I had been comparing apples and oranges? I suppose the Plot Sequence report is just what it says, the sequence ( A following of one thing after another; An order of succession; an arrangement.) of the plot (The pattern of events for each throughline in a narrative.)
The plot sequence report takes us through each throughline, signpost by signpost.
Would you agree then that when we analyze a narrative we are (among other things) selecting the Domain, Concern, Issue, Symptom, Response, Problem and Solution for each throughline? And this, I see now at the decent hour of 9:30 pm, is a different animal from the PSR. When we come to a single storyform we are able to produce a Plot Sequence Report but it is not analysis. It is the benefit of analysis.

So, there wouldn’t really be a signpost 4 evaluation like the second example I made up above (straight analysis), right? I see now that I could use the PSR retro-actively to analyze.

Maybe someone should edit this thread and take out all the crazy talk and just leave the … okay just delete all my posts. But seriously if this thread does stay up I hope it helps rather than cause more confusion.

1 Like

Don’t worry. Storytelling is a complicated art and Dramatica is not a simple 1, 2, 3 process. It takes time.

Hello there. I’ve just found this conversation on Plot Sequence Report; I can’t find this feature on my Dramatica Story Expert, there’s no sign of a Plot Sequence Report button or something. Can you tell me why is that? Thank you.

It’s under Reports --> Advanced Reports (about 2/3 of the way down the options on the left hand side scroll bar).

Ah, awesome.
Thank you sir.