POV: Studying with Narrative First

Did you ever encounter problems withing your treatment while changing your logline for NF? I was finally able to figure out who is my MC, Protagonist, and IC. Now I see that I need to have POV for both of them, I mean MC and Protagonist. Does it mean that I have two ISs? It seems that I do… And what should I do in the meantime to present Jim with my treatment? Which one to focus on? Am I the only needy one here? :blush:

Because a story’s Main Character is always the one you want the audience to “connect to” most, and that same story’s Impact Character is the second-most-important character for the audience to “connect to,” you should definitely put most of your effort into clarifying your MC’s and IC’s points of view (POV).

When you choose to separate the MC and Protagonist functions into two separate “players,” you will need to give us a little of the Protagonist’s POV, since that Protagonist will be the “general” driving the story battle. But we don’t necessarily need to “connect to” the Protagonist’s POV; we just need to understand what the Protagonist’s goal in the story is, and get a fairly simple understanding of why the Protagonist desires that goal.

1 Like

Also, don’t be scared of “getting things wrong” with Jim; he’s an understanding teacher who will help you make it right/clarify your guiding intentions, not chide you for writing something slightly amiss.

2 Likes