Reappraisal - different from the appraisal?

Is reappraisal simply a follow-up appraisal or does it have to reach a different conclusion?

Appraisal is an initial understanding, a limited initial assessment. Reappraisal is a reconsideration of a conclusion, presumably in light of more evidence. In light of additional information, sure, one can conclude that yes, they are on the right track.

I’m not sure how you’re trying to use them in your story, but as I understand it they are processes that your characters are engaged in and need not necessarily refer to the same conclusion. They are theme level terms and are used to show value judgments. For instance, the MC prefers to judge a book by it’s cover vs having to check up on a particular group.

1 Like

My PSR has a second OS signpost of Obtaining as the good guys hunt for the killer and the killer hunts for his next victims. Obtaining is broken into Investigation, Appraisal, Reappraisal, and Doubt. Originally, Investigation was the start of the search for the big, bad, evil guy. But, you tell me that it (as well as Appraisal, Reappraisal, and Doubt) should be used to show value judgments. So, now I don’t know. I’m totally confused.

I also mentioned I didn’t know how you were trying to use them. Using the PSR is a little different than using those terms to set up a thematic argument.

I’m not deeply versed in the theory behind the PSR. I use the Armando Saldana-Mora method (found in Dramatica for Screenwriters) to deal with the PSR. If you haven’t read that book, read it. It’s super helpful. The gist, though, is to ask what Appraisal and Reappraisal have to do with Obtaining.

Maybe in your story they spend time dealing with an investigation of whatever type. Then they appraise the evidence to come to a conclusion about the killer, who he is, or where he’s at or something. Then maybe they realize they need to reappraise the evidence they’ve collected, or maybe they need to reappraise their profile of a suspect, or reappraise the person that is feeding them info. Maybe the good guys have appraised that the killer is so bad and so smart that they need to reappraise their life choices. Then there would be some exploration of Doubt as it relates to Obtaining. So they can appraise something and reconsider it, or appraise something and reappraise something else.

2 Likes