Relationship story

Can the relationship in a relationship story be an intervention? And are there any story examples out there?

What do you mean by intervention ? Do you have some context for your story to explain that ?

Intervention is the only word I could come up with to describe a relationship where the influence character’s role is to bring to the awareness of the main character the self destruction their way of life is bringing to them. I guess mentor/mentee could substitute?

The Third Man with Wells and Cotton?

1 Like

Maybe stories considered as having a (not using this term as a criticism but as a character type) “manic pixie dream girl/boy” character who’s focused on helping the MC loosen up? The wiki page on that has a list of movies and such.

Maybe there are some stories w/ a sponsor the MC talks to in order to stay sober? I can’t think of any, but I’ve seen a sponsor character somewhere before, though maybe not IC.

Oh, what about the movie “Anger Management”?

1 Like

Seems like the relationship would be ‘friend’ or ‘sponsor’ or something, and the intervention would maybe be a source of conflict within the relationship. “Your way of thinking about X is driving a wedge between us.” Something like that.

2 Likes

I wonder if the film Momento would fit?

1 Like

What would the Influence Character throughline be about in this story?

I might be wrong but I feel like the intervention itself would mostly be the IC throughline. The intervention would definitely impact the relationship, but I think the relationship would be more easily understood in light of who the two people are to each other (e.g. “old friends” or “sponsor/sponsored” as Greg suggests), and how that relationship grows and changes.

Unless you see the IC’s influence being in some other area?

I think you said it best. The intervention really would be the IC throughline. Would this then secure the IC in the activity domain and the MC in the psychology domain (the intervention is intended to change his manner of thinking that is destructive).

For sure the way of thinking is a source of conflict for the IC and MC, but its also a source of conflict for MC first and foremost. But, since it is a source of conflict between IC and MC I am thinking the relationship story going into the psychology domain is necessary?

I had two responses to this. I typed out the first one, then reread your post and thought maybe you were saying something other than what I thought the first time. I’ve decided to offer both.

First response:

Depends on what you want to say.
Ex1
Mc- my way of thinking is causing me all sorts of problems
IC-you take action and it inspires me to try
Rs-we can get through this. We won’t quit.

Ex2
Mc-my actions are very destructive to me and everyone around me
IC-when I look at you I think maybe I need to think differently about some things
Rs-we’re in this together

Ex3
Mc-All I Can think about is my next fix
IC-you have severe health issues
Rs-your behavior is hurting us

Those are quick and dirty (and probably not great) examples of what I think you could say with those throughlines in different contexts. I didn’t list out the domains I see them taking place in, but I see each of those configurations being aligned differently on the chart. If you see more than one perspective in Psychology, you need to pick one and change the others accordingly.

Can you look at this story as a whole and get a better idea? For instance, if you see Psychology problems as a possibility for multiple threads, can you maybe say that your IC is definitely in one area? Or maybe the OS? If the Os is probably Physics, then yes, put RS in Psychology. If your OS is more of a Universe problem, then you might listen to yourself when you say Psychology is the MCs problem first and foremost.

Second response:

When you say “IC and MC” do you mean M/I, aka RS? If so…[quote=“Rosie, post:10, topic:1879”]
but its also a source of conflict for MC first and foremost
[/quote]
…Do you mean that Psychology is the MCs personal source of conflict first and foremost (in which case you are telling us you have two perspectives in one domain and need to change something) or could it be that you are saying the MC player and not the IC player looks like the one dealing with the Psych problems that are creating conflict in the relationship (in which case you would have an RS that is experiencing conflict from a problematic way of thinking and would indeed need it to go in Psychology)?

1 Like

This gives me a lot to think about, thank you for so much time put in!! Right now I am leaning towards your first response as the one that best meets where my thinking was at.

1 Like

At least part of “Days of Wine & Roses.” I’m not certain it’s strictly part of the RS.
http://dramatica.com/analysis/days-of-wine-and-roses

1 Like