Rogue One StoryForm Guess

When I saw Rogue One in the theater, the story seemed potentially a quite clear story form. Some elements I could do in my head. Despite some feedback from others, I thought Jyn’s personal problem was clear and the themes were straight forward. After having watched it a few times at home, I’m happy to see the Dramatica report so far — down to two storyforms — fits my mental calculations.

Jyn is the MC. She begins with a few statements about not wanting to be part of the rebellion. When meeting with Saw, she says essentially that the Empire’s flag waving across the galaxy isn’t a problem if you don’t look up. Her attitude changes after seeing a hologram of her father, someone she hasn’t seen since early childhood. It seemed trust was a big issue for her. She hated Saw for abandoning her. Going into the Third Act, when Cassian expresses hope in joining her cause, she tells him something to the effect she’s not used to people not abandoning her. Though I think her father made a big impact on her, I believe Cassian is the impact character. From the second half of the movie onward, she voices arguments in sticking to the greater cause. We must stop the rebellion. This would match the OS issue of Morality. Cassian even sees the light when he and the others express interest in joining her going into the Third Act, despite what the council decided. He says he and the others have done horrible things for the cause of the rebellion. Were he to walk away now, those horrible things would’ve been for nothing.

The OS Domain is easy enough to figure out. The Rebels seek to obtain the plans to the Death Star. Morality is the OS issue. During the Council, Jyn argues that her father died so that they’d have a chance to stop the Empire. Meanwhile, the rebels argue they can’t afford more losses.

“Rebellions are built on hope.” Cassian says this early in the story, then Jyn repeats this in the Council meeting going into Act Three. Ironically, I think this is impacting both the OS and the Impact Character. My story form has the IC’s issue be Dream, which refers to unrealistic expectations. Hope refers to possible expectations. I think her line switched the IC from Dream to Hope, which seems from my reading the Dramatica reports on the website seems to be how the change character operates… from issue to counterpoint. My story form has Disbelief as the problem, which I earlier thought in terms of “lack of trust” in my mental calculation. Saw interrogates the pilot because he doesn’t trust the pilot is telling the truth. Later, when Jyn meets him, Saw suspects she’s been sent to kill him. The fact he changes his mind, demonstrates OS characters can change from problem to solution during the story. Whether intended or not, I noticed my story form has “Choice” for the MC’s issue. It just so happens that during the Council meeting, Jyn argues “what other choice do we have?” I feel assured that Jyn’s domain is Situation because she’s the daughter of an Imperial scientist. Some characters express disbelief, especially during her recruitment questioning going into Act Two, that she’s on the side of the rebellion.

I am guessing it’s an action driven story because the final moments of the film depict the plans being transmitted and received by the rebels aboard ship… just before their battle with Darth Vader. This is why, despite some audience suspicions, the Darth Vader scene had to be included as an integral part of the story. At the story’s beginning, Jyn’s father being taken back by Krennick to finish the Death Star is a significant plot point.

Faith being what I suspect to be the OS solution is why I think I liked Chirrut’s character so much. He seemed very much the conscience character. Though he’s blind, he had total faith in the “Force of Others”, a nice reference back to George Lucas’ original name for this Universal aspect. The very term “Force of Others” also speaks thematically of the OS issue of Morality.

1 Like