Rogue One, thoughts?

The storyform of Star Wars tells us that the Goal was not specifically to achieve the destruction of the Death Star (Obtaining), but rather, for the rebels to show that they were capable of fighting back. Although some of Rogue One seemed to be about Doing, like getting the various alliance members to join in, it seemed to have more of an Obtaining goal with capturing the Death Star plans. So if it has a storyform, I don’t think it’s the same as Star Wars.

Like @Gregolas I have trouble remembering much of the plot. (I can remember Ghostbusters much better even though it’s been twenty years since the last time I watched it!)

For Jyn’s Resolve, you want to compare her from the beginning to the end, and I do agree she seems to have changed her perspective – at the end being willing to die knowing she made a difference to the rebellion, vs. not wanting to be involved with the rebellion at all.

But what seems to really be missing is the Steadfast Influence Character (or characters, or force of influence). I’m not sure where that would come from?

Also, another cool thing would be if you could identify a common problematic element that both Jyn and the overall story share (and maybe Cassian too, if you support his being an MC). I have one in mind, but it’s probably jumping to conclusions so I’ll hold off and see what you think. And more importantly, what would you say the 4 throughlines are each about?

Although I don’t feel Rogue One is complete, I’d be happy to see it more the way you do, if only to appreciate it a little more!

1 Like