Saving Mr Banks Analysis

The Consequence, I think. Perhaps it should read “even if it means failing to come up with amenable ideas for everyone” or something more along those lines?

1 Like

So instead of the Premise emphasizing the Consequence coming into play, it should emphasize the failure of the Goal. Very interesting! I’ll want to think on that.

I just realized I forgot to mention that the Premise also includes the Growth, and that @mlucas’s Premise says “Peace of mind awaits those who start accepting the current circumstances.” So does that part sound right to you, @Hunter, or do you think it would be better as “those who stop rejecting the current circumstances” or something like that?

On a different note, I was wondering about Mr Travers and thought of something we haven’t discussed yet: his big change when he is bedridden. After giving into his alcoholism over and over again throughout the substory/backstory, he is on his deathbed. At first he’s asking the doctor to give him medicine which contains alcohol, to which the doctor responds, “When will enough be enough?” But then, right before Mr Travers passes away, he asks Ginty to get him some pears instead of liquor.

Sounds like an IC Resolve of Change, doesn’t it? If that’s the case, then maybe there’s more to Mr Travers than just present-day Pamela’s personal throughline.

I don’t think we ever came to a final storyform on this one, did we? Anyway, something struck me the other day regarding domains and it definitely changes how I view it. I remember, at least at one point, arguing that the OS was in Psychology because Pamela’s behavior was the source of conflict for all. But I think I now have a good reason for switching the OS to Physics.

The Domain level is the story’s Purpose, or intended and desired result. What is the purpose, then, of the OS? Is it to change Pamela’s behavior? To maintain it? No, I don’t get that sense at all. The Purpose is to adapt a book into a screenplay. That is the intended result of everything that happens in the OS. And that is Physics. What’s interesting is how we clearly see Pamela’s behavior as part of this issue. Perhaps one could just argue that dealing with Pamela’s attitude is the conflict that’s being assigned to the physics of adapting a book, but I think the intention of the story is not to show us that adapting a book is the direct source of conflict, but that the relationship between adapting a book and the author being stubborn is the imbalance that generates conflict like an electric spark between them. That is also, then, an argument for a Holistic story.

What of the MC and IC domains, then? I vaguely remember arguments that Pamela didn’t want to sale her character. But that’s more related to desire than thought, isn’t it? And when we look at the Purpose of her story, do we get the sense that the intended result is to happily sale the character, or to maintain not wanting not to sale? Again, I don’t get that sense at all. Instead, I think the intended purpose has maybe more to do with what Pamela thinks of her father. She loves him and wants to honor him. I think the purpose of her MC story is for her to do that, or to maintain that attitude. I think that’s a much better fit for a Mind story.

What about the IC? Anyone have an idea about what the purpose would be? Looking at Walt as IC, I want to say that the perspective is looking at not having the rights to Mary Poppins as the state of things and the purpose is to change that state. Something along those lines. You have to be careful to think of the state of the rights, though, because it’s easy to start thinking about obtaining the rights, which would sound more like Physics.

And finally, I remember trying to point to Nonacceptance as the problem. But I think I had it backward. Just as the Domain level is Purpose, the Element level is Motivation, or drive. The OS characters aren’t driven by or to rejection. They’re driven toward getting Pamela’s acceptance. They’re driven by her lack of acceptance. Her lack of acceptance is what makes them mad and stresses them out. Getting her acceptance is why they change the ending and have the father mend the kite. And I think Pamela is personally driven by having final say over the script, the ability to accept or not accept.

And how, then, do you resolve a drive of acceptance? For one, you can stop refusing to sign the deal (or decrease the nonacceptance) and solve the overall problem. OR, if it’s a personal problem, you fly back to California, get yourself an invitation to the premiere, sit in front of the guy that made the movie, and tell him that you can’t abide cartoons (or that you reject/non accept the film).

With all that in place, if they don’t Learn (Goal) about who Pamela is, they can’t Conceive (Consequence) of how important Mary Poppins is to her. The price they pay is having Pamela present while writing the film (Cost), but at least they get her to consider signing over the rights to the character (Dividend).

1 Like

I needed a couple of days to digest this. Love your post, @Greg! The OS in Physics and the MC in Mind makes tons of sense when you put it that way. Also, this:

Absolutely amazing. And the illustrations for the OS and MC Solutions are spot on.

Interestingly, with the OS in Physics, MC in Mind, and the Mindset (Jim’s new, more accurate term for “Problem-Solving Style”) as Holistic, the IC Issue is Repulsion. How perfect for Pamela’s opinion about Walt!

1 Like

Thanks Rail! (I hope you don’t mind if I call you Rail, haha). I planned on needing to back up my new position, but i think I was still sort of proving the IC throughline to myself when I made the last post, so I’m glad you brought up the IC Issue of Repulsion so I can maybe prove it to myself now.

When you look at the storytelling, Pamela definitely seems to be pushing Walt away. So why, then, is this Walt’s throughline and not Pamela’s? Because Walt is the one who can’t fulfill his promise for twenty years, who can’t make his movie. He’s the one with conflict because of it. And because it’s his throughline, structurally it doesn’t even matter that Pamela is the one pushing Walt away. Anyone could have fulfilled that role. It just works out that Pamela happens to be both the MC and the one playing into the ICs Issue here.

Now here’s where I’m probably going to struggle a bit. How does the ICs evaluations of Repulsion influence the MC? It seems that Pamela (or the Storymind, actually) should look at how Walt is constantly being pushed away and yet never goes away and see that holding this kind of value has gotten him very close to solving his problem. In fact, by the time Pamela is able to offer her rejection of the movie, he has gotten what he wants (the rights to Mary Poppins). If Pamela is dealing with Re-Appraisals of Mary Poppins, or of her father, and not getting what she wants, then perhaps she should switch to Walt’s world view. So when Walt doesn’t invite her to the premiere (would it have been a stronger message had he thrown away her invitation? Or perhaps invited her to stay away? I don’t know, I may be stretching it here) she takes Walt’s worldview and refuses to be kept away as she hops a plane back to California and gets invited to the show.

Anyway, that’s assuming my new choice for storyform
Is even accurate to begin with.

1 Like