Sherlock, S1 Ep1, A Study in Pink

Their relationship only begins because Watson’s friend remembered Sherlock having said “Who’d want me as a flat mate?” earlier in the day. Does that work? That may be a bit of a stretch.

Doesn’t it layer with trust in that Watson trusts him enough to check out Sherlock’s place. Are we still working with trust?

@Prish and to keep it at hand for everyone. These are the major elements where we currently think the storyform lies:

Memories and Contemplation are RS Signpost 1 choices after judgment good is posted.

@Prish
I’m just sort of spitballing here, but I wonder if, when the therapist brings up trust issues, this is actually getting us set up for the RS with a problem of Reevaluation. When Mycroft quotes from the therapist’s notes later, he seems to be referencing the trust issues in terms of Watson’s rapidly growing relationship with Sherlock.

Or could it be that because the therapist is an objective character, when confronted with a problem of Inaction, she diagnoses the OS symptom of Reevaluation?

1 Like

If you add judgment of good, there are more there are more blanks filled in the master engine.

What I can’t get over is that the actor who plays Mycroft is the co-creator of the series, and he wrote some future scripts. It’s such a small world. I wouldn’t think it was a casual wording accident. Could it be valid for both points you bring up? I was at a workshop Melanie gave in Portland, Oregon in the 90’s, and she said that a story was stronger if several (many?) storyform points landed on the same spot (my word), if you get my drift.

I’m a little confused by what you mean. I didn’t mean to imply there was anything sloppy or accidental here.

It’s certainly no accident that Mycroft uses the same wording as the therapist. My understanding of that beat is that he’s literally reading from the therapist’s notes, or more likely a transcription of them.

I was trying to determine whether the word trust was used because it’s the closest approximation to “Reevaluation” that a therapist might actually say. “Reevaluation” isn’t a word you encounter much out in the wild.

As for multiple storypoints landing on the same spot… That’s pretty much my favorite thing in the world.

Are we putting Trust anywhere, now?

Maybe Sherlock sees Watson needs a little guidance coming into civilian life?

As far as I can tell, we’re starting to feel pretty good about our problem/solution quads in both MC and OS. We haven’t discussed IC Sherlock at the bottom level, but I think we can all agree that if ever there were an IC with an Issue of Analysis it was Sherlock Holmes. And we’ve only just begun to look at the RS.

I don’t suspect Trust is going to factor in as an actual storypoint. I actually think we’re in the wrong quad of concerns. Iirc, Trust is in the upper right Concerns.

I suspect this is a semantic gap between Dramatica language and the more colloquial language used in the script. “Trust” is a word people actually say. The therapist couldn’t have really said something like, “It appears you constantly reevaluate the state of our relationship.”

Actually, this has got me thinking. Is it possible the therapist, short though her screentime might be, is the IC just for that little bit before Watson meets Sherlock?

Then that therapy can be an RS scene as well. Watson says, “I see you still think I have trust issues.” The therapist, “And you read my writing upside down; see what I mean?” (RS SP1: Memories)

2 Likes

That does seem a Sherlock-type comeback, doesn’t it? You might be right about her as IC for that scene.

Thank you for visualizing these storyform points. Inaction then Protection with solid examples from the dramatization, this I would have not caught without you pointing them out.

If we use Linear PSS for the MC, the OS SP1 is Future. That doesn’t seem right to me at all. If we use Holistic, OS SP1 is Past which sounds like the journalist scene where they are talking about the three suicides that have happened.

But if you use Linear, OS SP2 is Progress, which sounds like the pink lady being found and leaving a note. If you use Holistic, you get Future, which is harder to pin down.

Do you know which scene begins the SP2? The whole story IS geared to Sherlock and Watson beginning a future, together. I liked how he kicked everyone out of the room, insisting he needed Watson’s medical feedback. Then he told a bewildered Watson he was just making a point, hinting to Watson to just go with it, more or less. That seemed like Sherlock was setting up his future, checking out Watson’s ability to be a buffer when needed.

1 Like

I’m just going to put the OS plot progression down for both Linear and Holistic just for easy reference:

Linear
Future – Progress – Present – Past

Holistic
Past – Future – Progress – Present

Looking at Signposts, I’d probably go with Holistic. One and Four both look good. One for the reasons @Gregolas already laid out and four because in that final signpost the Cabbie is trying to kill his fifth victim, Sherlock, right now.

For SP2 Future you’ve got the Pink Lady scene. The culmination of that scene is the realization that this is the work of a serial killer. Sherlock says, “We’ve got a serial killer. Love those. There’s always something to look forward to.” The Future holds another killing unless the killer is caught.

SP3 Progress is probably Sherlock finding the suitcase and bringing it home but not finding anything particularly useful. The phone is still missing. Lack of Progress. Then the police all show up and they finally figure out the significance of Rachel and the missing phone, which allows them to literally track the Progression of the killer just as he arrives at the door.

Choosing Holistic also gives us Subconscious/ Innermost Desires in RS SP3, which is likely the dinner scene when Watson is asking Sherlock about his personal life, and there’s some tension concerning Sherlock’s sexual preferences and him thinking Watson is coming on to him.

Then four is Conscious/ Contemplation, which is maybe Sherlock working out that Watson shot Cabbie, then confronting Watson about it. Watson plays dumb, then Sherlock suggests a course of action to prevent the police from figuring out it was Watson. Sherlock: “Need to get the powder burns out of you fingers. I don’t suppose you’d go to jail for this, but let’s avoid the court case.” Sherlock treats it as their shared problem, their present considerations.

3 Likes

I’d say it starts when the police show up at 221B Baker St to ask for Sherlock’s help and ends when Sherlock leaves the Pink Lady crime scene. After that is the stuff with Watson and Mycroft, which I don’t really think is in the OS (but likely involves all three other throughlines), then Watson goes back to the apartment and discovers Sherlock has found the pink suitcase, which I think is the next Story Driver and the beginning of OS SP3.

Let’s take a look at the IC storypoints just to get them out of the way.

Problem: Acceptance
Solution: Non-acceptance
Focus/Symptom: Reevaluation
Direction/Response: Evaluation

I assume we don’t have any problems with Reevaluation/ Evaluation. These are definitely Sherlock’s areas of attack. Reevaluation is bit harder to see, I think, but Sherlock’s conversations almost unanimously end with him running down his Evaluation of something, urging others to Evaluate better, or pondering how accurate his Evaluation was.

I suppose a problem of Acceptance is Sherlock’s drive to be brought in to the investigation and for people to accept that he’s pretty much right about everything. The solution of Non-acceptance doesn’t come in to play because Sherlock won’t take no for an answer. If he did, his ability to influence anyone would vanish because he wouldn’t be throwing those astounding observations at them all the time, since people generally non-accept him when he does this.

I think there’s also a subtle thread of a more emotional kind of acceptance driving Sherlock. He seems genuinely touched that Watson finds his antics brilliant, mentioning that most people tell him to “piss off” (not that that stops him).

When Sherlock looked at the dead body in pink, his thought pattern did run through the possibility of rache possibly being the German word. But then didn’t he dismiss it (in such a way we could see by using words flashed on the screen) and choose the unfinished word as Rachel? Wouldn’t that be re-evaluation?

Could non-acceptance be the way the other officials think of him, i.e. woman investigator who warned off Watson? They are so non-accepting of Sherlock, they leave him completely alone, which might help his concentration.

I confused myself on this one by looking at accurate instead of acceptance. But could we say he lacks a drive to be accepted? He sees himself as smarter than everyone else and doesn’t seem to mind being called a freak or told to piss off. This has an effect on others who don’t like him because of it and volunteer to search his apartment and think one day he will be the one leaving dead bodies.

1 Like