Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan Online Analysis

OK. I mulled this over last night, and I think I have a better grip on it now.

Krik’s Problem is a lack of Pursuit and his Solution is a lack of Avoidance. He’s meant to command a starship, but he’s not Pursuing that destiny. His friends know this, and try to nudge him in the right direction, but he thinks his time has passed. He also has issues with death, specifically never having faced it in a really significant way. When Spock sacrifices himself for the ship, he can no longer Avoid facing it. He is out of cheats.

Of course, he sees things differently. He sees the people around him commenting on the path he’s now chosen. McCoy says he should be hopping galaxies. Spock says he should have never accepted promotion. Saavik quotes regulations to him. Everyone is trying to provide Support, but to Kirk, it’s all nonsense and he Opposes it. When Saavik quotes regulations, saying they should raise shields, Spock rebukes her, and what does Kirk do? He keeps the shields down.

The only issue I have left is the nagging feeling that the Marcuses have to play into Kirk’s story more than is apparent here. They could have been just any scientists, but instead they are very personal to Kirk. Perhaps they are merely a device to keep Kirk’s focus away from his real Problem and its Solution. He ponders the life he could have led, and this again makes him feel “old, worn out.”

I don’t have the software in front of me right now, but this feels like the Signpost should be Past here.

According to Dramatica, that scene falls under Present, with Permission, Need, Expediency and Deficiency. I agree it does sound like past, but another way of looking at it is he’s looking at the choices he made and where they’ve led him, so he’s contemplating his current situation and as a result, feels old. Past is the dynamic pair of Present BTW.

At the end of the movie, Kirk bonds with his son who acknowledges his father’s pain and tells him, “I’m proud to be your son.” When they hug, Kirk has made amends with his past. The fourth signpost reads, Past, with State of Being, Situation, Circumstances and Sense of Self.

All the best.

I was thinking of Kirk’s line, “There’s a man out there I haven’t seen in fifteen years who’s trying to kill me. You show me a son that’d be happy to help him. My son. My life that could have been, and wasn’t. And what am I feeling? Old. Worn out.” I see what you’re saying, though. Kirk is looking at his past, but thinking about his present. His past choices have created this present which is bearing down on him.

You’ve raised a very good point here that I think needs to be addressed. I don’t have it completely formulated yet, but the Marcuses are definitely more than just a plot device, they are, ultimately, Kirk’s salvation. Kirk loses his best friend, but he gains a son, it’s the price he has to pay in order to have both worlds. At one point, David even assumes Spock’s role when he identifies the image on the scanner as the genesis wave, something Spock himself can’t do.

Interesting how in the next instalment, Kirk regains his friend, but pays the price when he loses his son.

I was thinking about this myself, and also the previous film, in which Kirk uses V-ger as an excuse to pull a bunch of strings and get the Enterprise back. He even recalls Dr. McCoy to active duty. He’s a very different Kirk in The Motion Picture than he is in our film.

It’s also interesting that he doesn’t truly regain his friend until The Voyage Home, and Spock goes through much the same arc he did in the first film, learning that logic is not the answer to everything.

Anyway, back to the film at hand. I believe the Marcuses have to represent Kirk’s past in some way. He regrets not being there for his son. Kirk didn’t leave Carol; she was the one to break it off. She didn’t want her unborn son following in his father’s warp trail. He didn’t even know she was pregnant, or perhaps he would have stayed out of obligation… which actually plays into the RS. Perhaps there’s a hand-off present here? With Spock away, the Marcuses play?

We need to be careful with which cut of the film we’re talking about. There are two versions of that scene. In the original Nick Meyers cut, Kirk says, “Why didn’t you tell him?” The Studios has them reshoot that scene to, “Why didn’t you tell me?” They were worried Kirk would come off as a dead beat dad. At least, that’s my recollection of reading Nick Meyer’s autobiography, A View From the Bridge.

Personally, I prefer the director’s version which is the one available on Netflix USA (watched it again last night).

I’m going from a transcript of the finished film instead of the screenplay I found, precisely because I know that scene is different. The screenplay still has “me”, but there’s other stuff there that isn’t in the film. It actually emphasizes the fact that Kirk is David’s father a lot more, so that a reader will understand it. The way it’s acted in the film makes most of it unnecessary, and it isn’t even spoken explicitly until that scene at the end.

As long as Carol’s response is the same, either version of Kirk’s line works. The point is that Kirk’s leaving was Carol’s choice, not his. It’s obvious that in the film’s present, at least, Kirk knows who David is.

I’d argue that Kirk being aware, all along, that he has a son is the issue at hand, no? If it’s “me” then it implies he wasn’t aware that she was pregnant. If it’s “him” then it’s David who doesn’t know who Kirk is.

Am I being a poor marksman here?

Well, in every version I’ve read/seen at this point, it’s “me”, and it’s always Carol who sent Kirk away. In the screenplay, it seems David doesn’t know Kirk is his father until Carol announces it, but in the film, it’s not clear if he knows or not, because she never announces it. What is clear in the film, however, is that Kirk knows exactly who David is when he discovers he’s also “Dr. Marcus”.

Everybody got that? :stuck_out_tongue:

Got it. So what next?

When Young Dr. Marcus takes Bones and Saavic to see the Genisis cave so Mom and Dad can be alone Kirk asks her, “Why didn’t you tell him.” (I’m watching it on Netfilx now) So it seems clear she didn’t tell him because she wanted her son with her not chasing stars with his father.

I could swear it was “me” on Netflix, but it doesn’t matter all that much. What matters is that Kirk knows. Whether he knew when he left is irrelevant.

I am not sure what you mean here. The 4th Signpost is Past in the proposed Storyform for the MC but under Past is Fate/Destiny & Prediction/Interdiction.
The four variations you mention are under RS Signpost 1 > Developing a Plan>State of Being, Situation, Circumstances and Sense of Self.
….
That is unless, of course, you are looking at the plot sequence report. :blush:

Wow. Those seem to fit the end of the film so well.

Plot sequence report always. The theme browser doesn’t show the story form for the current project, only the “static / default” version.

Well, if everyone agrees on the Storyform, I would have add it and start doing as much a detailed analysis as you want. I will say one thing, @Jerome earlier you posted this:

Which could be interpreted as a lack of Pursuit examples for the Overall Story Solution. Can you possibly give “positive” examples of Avoidance as a Solution in the OS? Thanks again for all the work on this.

The last bit’s a positive… 8^\

Yeah, you’re right, I need to go through these again, unless anyone has better illustrations?

Watching the film last night, I started working on the Plot Sequence too. Can anyone look it over and give notes, also help with Acts 3 & 4? I kind of ran out of steam near the midpoint.

MC1: HOW THINGS ARE CHANGING: Knowledge, Ability, Desire, Thought (11min)
McCoy suggests, “Wouldn’t it be easier to simply put an experienced crew on the ship?” Kirk answers, “Galloping across the cosmos is a game for the young, Doctor.” Later, in Kirk’s apartment, Kirk asks, “Don’t mince words, Bones. What do you really think?” McCoy answers, “Jim, I’m your doctor and I’m your friend. Get back your command. Get it back before you turn into part of this collection. Before you really do grow old.”

OS1: GATHERING INFORMATION: Wisdom, Skill, Experience, Enlightenment (24min)
The two starfleet officers go down to the planet surface and find a structure. Inside, one of them realizes where they are and urges the other that they must leave NOW. Running outside, they find themselves surrounded by dark figures. Back inside the structure, the leader of the super humans interrogates the two starfleet officers before inserting a creature’s larva into their brains to force them to answer his questions.

IC1: IMPULSIVE RESPONSES: Fate, Prediction, Interdiction, Destiny (38min)
We have a problem. Something may be wrong with Regula One, we’ve been ordered to investigate. After which, Kirk states, “I told starfleet headquarters all we have is a boat load full of children.” Kirk then asks Spock if they can function under pressure, to which Spock responds, “As with all living things, each according to his gifts. Of course, the ship is yours.” Kirk answers that won’t be necessary, but Spock argues that the only logical choice is for Kirk to assume command. When Kirk continues to beat around the bush, Spock states, “Jim, you proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan, I have no ego to bruise.” Spock then goes so far as to state that Kirk made a mistake accepting a promotion and states, “Commanding a starship is your first and best destiny.”

RS1: DEVELOPING A PLAN: Truth, Evidence, Suspicion, Falsehood (44min)
Kirk, Spock and McCoy watch the genesis proposal. The tape was made a year ago, so they can only assume how far along they are. McCoy suspects the project could be used as a weapon of mass destruction.

OS2: DOING: Prerequisites, Preconditions, Strategy, Analysis (50min)
The Enterprise comes face to face with the Reliant, but the ship does not respond to their hails. The analyze the situation, Saavik states that under regulations, they should raise their shields before it is too late and they are fired upon.

MC2: THE FUTURE: Obligation, Rationalization, Commitment, Responsibility (51min)
Uhura informs Kirk, “Admiral, the commander of the Reliant is signaling. He wishes to discuss the terms of our surrender.”
Over the screen, Kirk tries to save his crew while Khan makes a counter proposal, if Kirk give him all the information he has on Genesis and himself, he’ll spare his crew. While Kirk claims their computer systems are down, he accesses the Reliant’s prefix code and lowers the ship’s shields before he fires on them.

IC2: CONTEMPLATION: Fact, Security, Threat, Fantasy (58min)
Spock analyzes the situation and despite not knowing many critical variables, does not try to stop the admiral from going into a potentially hazardous situation.

RS2: PLAYING A ROLE: Value, Confidence, Worry, Worth
Spock: Admiral, if we go by the book, like Lieutenant Saavik, hours would seem like days.
Kirk: I read you captain, let’s have it.
Spock: The situation is grave, Admiral, we won’t have power for six days. Auxiliary power has temporarily failed. Restoration may be possible, in two days. By the book, Admiral.

OS3: OBTAINING: Approach, Morality, Self Interest, Attitude

MC3: THE PRESENT: Permission, Need, Expediency, Deficiency (1h14min)
Talking about their son. How do I feel? Old.

IC3: INNERMOST DESIRES: Preconception, Openness, Delay, Choice
Spock steers the ship away from Regula One to avoid being shot down.

RS3: CHANGING ONE’S NATURE: Investigation, Appraisal, Reappraisal, Doubt
Sauce for the goose, Mister Saavik. The odds will be even.

OS4: UNDERSTANDING: Instinct, Senses, Interpretation, Conditioning

MC4: THE PAST: State of Being, Situation, Circumstances, Sense of Self

IC4: MEMORIES: Work, Attraction, Repulsion, Attempt

RS4: CONCEIVING AN IDEA: Denial, Hope, Dream, Closure

silence = we’re done?

If no one’s interested in completing the analysis, I’ll take another crack at it this week-end and see how the signposts for Acts 3 & 4 & the MC, IC & RS appreciations work, then let Jim tell me I’ve done it all wrong. 8^P

All the best.

I would have posted, but I’ve been ill. Hoping to add to this over the weekend.