Stiuation(Universe) is not reasonable?

As a novice confused. Stiuation(Universe) under Past,Present,Future and Progress, the feeling is not reasonable, they should be placed under the TIME, as a subclass of TIME. After all, the formation of the state of the world, is composed of time, space, objects and so on. I did not understand the author’s intention, and also this does not conform to the principles of KTAD.
Please forgive my ignorance.:blush:

I think the assumption is that we’re talking about the universe as it exists during that time period. So in a story with a Past Concern, the characters are all worried about the world as it was. Likewise, a Concern of Progress means the characters are all concerned with the Universe as it is progressing. Et cetera.

It does conform to the KTAD formulation, if you think on it carefully. The Past is Knowledge–the things you know, you learned in the past. The Present is Thought–thinking occurs now, in response to the current situation. Progress is Ability–Ability represents the power to effect change in the world. And The Future is Desire–Desire being the propensity towards a specific future orientation.

3 Likes

A perfect explanation. Thank you :clap:

I think it is easiest to understand “The Past” by thinking of the past as History. The Past can be general history, personal history, relationship history (“We have a history together.”), or someone else’s history. By thinking of The Past as history, the focus is less on one’s relative timeline, which can be messy when you add storyweaving to a story.

1 Like

@chuntley Thank you very much for your reply!

I have realized my mistake. If we describe Stiuation(Universe) through time, space, objects, and boundaries, it seems clear and concrete, but in fact, such division may break up Stiuation(Universe) and thus be difficult to stitch.

Agree with your analysis in the “A Comparison of Seven Story Paradigms”. Compared to other story models (such as the Hero’s Journey, is almost a story that has been formed), the advantage of Dramatica is that it has unlimited possibilities. It does not constrain creativity.

Other story models, because they are easy to understand, have more introductions in China, but I think those may be “lazy” tools. Only Dramatica is a truly viable theory.

Thank you for creating Dramatica! I am learning it, and I hope that one day I can make more Chinese readers understand Dramatica through my efforts.

@chuntley 非常感谢您的回复。

我反思之后,也已经意识到自己的错误。如果以时间、空间、对象、边界来描述世界状态,看起来清晰、具体,但实际上这样的划分极有可能会割裂世界,从而让故事难以缝合。而现在这种通过过去、现在、将来、进行这样的时间轴,确实是最有效的故事整合方案。

非常赞同您在《A Comparison of Seven Story Paradigms》一文中的观点,相对其他故事模型(比如英雄之旅,它几乎已经就是一个成型的故事),Dramatica理论的优势,是它有着无限的可能性,它不会约束创造力,而是会真正促进创造力。其他的故事模型,因为通俗易懂,所以在中国有比较多的介绍。然而我觉得那可能因为它们是“懒人”的工具,而Dramatica才是真正有生机的理论。

感谢您创造了Dramatica!我正在学习研究它,我希望有一天能通过我的努力,能让更多的中国读者了解这一理论。

That sounds wonderful! Thanks…

1 Like

@jhull I’ll give it a try. :smile: