Story Assembly II - another embroidery thread (post-apocalypse!)

Nah. If your referring to me, I don’t know more about it. We’re just making it up as we go. If you want some martial arts in the MC throughline, I say go for it.

1 Like

Yes I think that MC Solution that’s martial arts related could definitely work. It will be interesting to see how it works once the rest of the MC Throughline is put together – obviously it would be something that before she Changes, she wouldn’t be likely to do.

The other idea for the OS Inhibitor didn’t quite make sense to me, because the OS Inhibitor is supposed to slow down the conflict, but that sounded like it was increasing conflict. I think it could work as OS Inhibitor if the fertiles & infertiles united against them, putting aside their own differences because of their distrust of the martial arts philosophies.

1 Like

I think that’s how I was taking it too.

I was vaguely thinking the uniting thing and the mc change thing, and that’s why I wondered if this mc choice, also, would automatically do the OS inhibitor. So, what do we do? The mc choice only and leave the OS choice for someone else’s spin or they are tied together?

If you put it in the MC throughline, then I would think we’d just leave it there and leave the OS Inhibitor for another turn. The MAPs might or might not also be seen in the OS Inhibitor.

The MAPs could be the same group as in the OS Inhibitor, or they might just be the solution to the MCs problem and nothing more. So I say lets go with that.

Are we good on this one, then?

That sounds like a good idea to me.

I’m not sure how well this one works. If it messes everything up let me know and we’ll do something else. I may not be gettin the idea of a High Concept. And even though I was planning on doing this, I’m still making up a good bit as I type.

MC CONCERN: Coming Up with a High Concept
After the apocalypse, it has become clear that the overwhelming majority of the remaining population is infertile. When Lawanda finds a band of survivors that claim to have a group of fertile women in their midst, she has the idea to join them and try to convince the infertile population to see the fertiles as the saviors of the human race, a group worthy of extra resources, extra rations, etc. She has essentially achieved this (although most of the infertiles still see it as a wasted effort) and is in charge of the program that decides what resources the fertiles get and what has to be done to get them pregnant. As a fertile, she gets to partake in the additional resources allotted to the fertiles. However, she is not actually fertile. That was a lie to get the additional resources. All is fine until their one best shot for her to actually earn all the resources they have been using, Clay, falls in love with her and refuses to help impregnate the other women.

Ps. I’m going to have to start a tally on how many times this thread uses the words in/fertile.

Doesn’t this sound more like the…

RESPONSE: Lacking Potential for a Particular Group

Or

CRITICAL FLAW: Forcing a Particular Group to Take Someone with Them

Or

BENCHMARK: Conning a Particular Group
?

Greg, I found that really convoluted. Could you take a whack and simplifying the high concept and how the HIGH CONCEPT causes conflict rather than a lie?

you’re both right. I knew i was trying to do too much. That’s my fault for trying to come up with something while typing. I do seem to have worked too many points into that.

Tell you what, let’s scrap all that for now. How do you see a high concept working?

I thought it would be high philosophical stands, but looking at the wiki it appears to have developed as a cultural dumping ground word for simple, broad high highfalutin catchall concepts that hook a huge population, i.e. concept that gets people into the movie theaters by the millions. I wonder what the gisting was referring to.

Yeah I kind of just think of High Concept as a “really great idea” that will get people motivated or interested or whatever.

I think you might be still considering the OS a bit and not making it enough about Lawanda’s personal issues. For the MC throughline it might help to pretend she’s in a different story for a minute, an angsty teen drama or an office/medical drama or a family sitcom, whatever works for you.

After you do that, it’s totally fine and awesome to tie the ideas into the characters and “nouns” in our OS (resources, survivors, fertiles, etc.), but it’s good to put that aside to think of the really personal stuff first.

Does that help?

Yeah, I was definitely trying to do too much. I really just wanted the MC who was trying to get women pregnant to be an infertile and I was trying to tie that to Clay as well.

I guess I had a different idea of high concept and wanted to try to figure that out too, but I don’t have time just at the moment to try to redo it. I’ll try to come back as soon as I can to make another offer and see if it can be a bit clearer and more focused on the right throughline.

Alright, instead of figuring out the high concept this round, I’m going to skip down to CONSEQUENCE: Being Contemplative
If the goal of getting pregnant isn’t achieved, everyone will be left to consider how they will be the last generation of humans.

2 Likes

Hey all, I want to apologize for my embarrassing attempt at trying to do way too much in one Storypoint yesterday and the lack of detail on the one I offered this morning. I’ve been a little distracted the last day or so. Just want to let you know that I probably won’t be able to check in too much this weekend so feel free to continue without me. I’ll still be reading, but probably won’t post until Sunday night, maybe Monday.

Your consequence seems to the point for me.

No worries! It’s great how quickly you were able to pivot and make a nice save on the Consequence. I think that Consequence is perfect.

Oh, by the way I had actually had the same idea about Lawanda being considered fertile but actually being infertile … so we were on the same wavelength there!

I think it’s @jassnip’s turn now.

I’ve been watching by the sidelines. Love the simple clarity of this story point. The significance is easily understood.

And great job everyone. You’re inspiring me.

2 Likes

Okay sorry, I’ve been MIA
I’m posting my next story point but then I’m out until Monday…do we want to suspend after Mike and Prish have had their turns and start fresh with Greg on Sunday night?

OS SP 3 Being on hand for something (The Present) Hawk, Lena, Lawanda and Dr. O are all on hand, arguing over the disposition of the sperm bank when the cryo system fails and all of the specimens start to melt.

I am in no rush. I am ok with waiting until after the weekend, busy time. Plus, it always takes me time to absorb Mike’s posts.