Story Drivers - Master List

Is there anywhere where the Story Drivers for all of the analyzed films are listed? Honestly, I kind of just want to browse through 500 films and their Story Drivers.

1 Like

No. But that’s a great idea.

Actually, there are a bunch of sites that do this already, but with the Hero’s Journey/Save the Cat model. Would be relatively easy to convert, just need to account for Overall Story/Main Character Throughline blending.

2 Likes

I actually thought of this using K.M. Weiland’s Story Structure Database. The problem is the way the plot points are encoded there, it’s not necessarily easy to see Decision vs. Action. I was looking at her take on The Godfather as an example – she makes it sound like the plot point/drivers are actions, when The Godfather is a Decision story.

3 Likes

@Lakis That’s a pretty good resource, but the Decision/Action dilemma makes me wary as well. I’m pretty sure that they would also miss more often than not when the First Driver isn’t intertwined with the MCT.

Maybe I need to bite the bullet and try to analyze a movie finally. Honestly, I’d like to have a resource that gives the Story Drivers, Consequences, Costs, Dividends, etc.

Seeing as that is a like a thesis paper for Dramatica Story Experts, I don’t see that as being easy to do.

@jhull When you mention OST/MCT blending, are you talking about the Star Wars effect where there is confusion by the masses concerning the First Story Driver because the MC is not present when it happens? The confusion of Drivers with Story Beats?

1 Like

Absolutely. Also, what Lakis says up above about Plot Points always being seen as Actions.

2 Likes

She’s not alone in this.

Many people justify “decisions” the result of a cumulation of “actions” too – they can’t see Decisions on their own.

I call the the “New Years’ Resolution Diet Problem”. (Every piece of cake on January 3rd proves that decisions have to staying power and can’t actually affect anything.)

3 Likes