Story Guide as Mentor

Can’t say enough about the Story Guide aspect of DSE 5.0. I’ve used it for each story I have developed so far and each time, even if I think, “It can’t help me this time.” It always helps me focus my story in a magnificent way. I mainly skip right to Level 2 and start finding my MC and OS. I follow that up by bringing the four throughlines into focus. The Story Guide forces you to take your vague notions of Issue/Problem/Inhibitor etc… and really make you type out just what those story points are going to be or what it will look like in your story.

After I’m satisfied with what I’ve done in Level 2 I go into Level 3 and work out the Signposts and the finer details of Issue, Counterpoint, Problem whatever… and do that for each throughline.

I don’t fill out every single option as that becomes tedious and tiresome. I kinda have my favorites that I do each time and if i need more then i go for it. The Help window on the right side is so great because it gives you multiple tabs that explains each point in pretty fantastic detail. There’s hardly any question in my mind after going through each of those buttons.

But if I do find myself needing more I use it in conjunction with the Dramatica website and it’s many resources. The Analysis section, Community, Q&A, Theory… I go through it all and eventually I will find my answer… something that puts an abstract concept like Conceiving vs Conceptualizing (abstract to me anyways) into a manageable piece I can actually take a bite off of and then I start to realize where else I’ve seen such an argument in other stories, movies, books whatever (examples help me understand things so I’m always looking for examples).

Anyways just thought I’d share since it has been such a great tool for writing, for me. Even when I feel like I don’t any juice in the tank on any given day the Story Guide will get you typing something, anything, and soon enough magic unfolds before your eyes.

3 Likes

It’s tricky when you use it as both a way to learn dramatica and to uncover your story. Those two goals can work at cross-purposes, as you note.

1 Like