Suddenly Required to Become a Member at Narrative First?

Today, I noticed that I’m now suddenly required to “subscribe” (which takes me to the membership signup page) in order to read the full analyzes of practically every analysis on Narrative First, from Inside Out to Inception to Get Out. The only ones I can read in full are the ones less than two paragraphs long, such as Pixar’s Up or Hotel Rwanda. I decided to post this here to see if anyone else has been having this problem.

Yes, I noticed that too. It seems Jim redesigned the site, cut off some access to it too and is moving more into a subscription model. The cost is a bit steep for me.

Nothing has changed for me. What are you guys seeing?

Mike, I experienced the same thing as MiggsEye and RailwayAdventurer: A number of formerly “open” links to content on Jim’s NarrativeFirst site are now blocked by two buttons—either “Log In” or “Subscribe Now.”

Not that Jim doesn’t have every right to make money off his content; it’s simply the surprise that some content that used to be “free” is now open only to subscribers. I’m sure Jim’s just making a business decision, and we’ll just need to adjust to it: Either subscribe or miss out.

Yes, moving to a subscription model for the analysis–all of them–articles and blog posts are still free. Podcasts too.

Working on a bunch of new features that I can’t wait to share.

More soon!

7 Likes

You’ve put in a ton of work @jhull. I hope people see the value in it.

6 Likes

Agreed. Good thing I’m planning on getting a lifetime membership once I save up enough! :grinning: