Technical issue: Dramatica Story Expert Help File

I just bought Dramatica Srory Expert and installed it on Sierra about a week ago. When I open help I get a really screwed up web page:

tica

Holy moses. I get the same thing. Never opened up the Help Files - you’re probably better off asking for help in here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello JC… and welcome. I posted this same question years ago on the formerly used Google + User group page here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/112086057579687502813/posts/MgoSAvVLieC?cfem=1

The last word on it was that the problem was know to developers, and someone shared a few work arounds.

I agree, it is a bit of a nuisance not having this working smoothly, particularly as a newbie to Dramatica. Wondering if there has a been an update in the last few years that has fixed this?

1 Like

Thanks MiggsEye, and Hi! I JUST BOUGHT the program (first mac version of the program I’ve owned) so obviously no fix yet :slight_smile: If this has been an issue for years, I’d say that’s definitely a Judgement of BAD. LOL!

1 Like

JC… It might be a persistent and inconvenient flaw with the program until they decide to fix it. Nonetheless, Dramatica theory and what this program does to make it available to writers is unmatched in the world in my opinion. So I’ll live with the inconvenience to have some of that. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Basic software features are important to users’ perception of the overall product and the developer’s brand. Like anything we buy we expect to work. Just imagine; “Oh, I’m sorry your $1,200 mac computer CTRL button doesn’t work!” or, “I’m sorry your $200 shoe has a hole in it!” or, “I’m sorry your $30,000 four cylinder car only has three cylinders!”

To me it indicates the software - as miraculous as it is - is a niche product with a small user base, and the developer doesn’t care to invest in order to fix it. That’s really disrespectful to their customers. And users should not just let something like this slide.

My feeling is that they’re doing they’re best, Dramatica software is not a gold mine, it’s more a labour of love – at least for now. I’m just thankful the software works as well as it does; despite it’s quirks it’s still fully functional, at least for me.

I’d say it’s actually up to us – the writers who are using Dramatica – to do our best to support it and promote it. Write great stories, and tell people how much Dramatica helped!

3 Likes

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the software, per se, rather that it’s an issue with the web-based interface or address. I’m not sure why it was set up that way, perhaps because it’s easier to administer a web-based help system than it is to have added it to the software itself. It could also be that the link the help button is directed to is incorrect. You can access the help via this link below that points to your application file where it’s presumably installed (I’d suggest bookmarking it):

file:///Applications/Dramatica%20Story%20Expert/Help/index.html

2 Likes

Interesting you say it’s up to us. I’ve seen this argument played out in the comic book field where publishers actually start blaming readers for the failure of a title. And while there’s some business sense to that - “the title didn’t sell, so therefore we should kill it.” -to actually place the blame or onus on readers (or users) is a huge mistake. We’re paying for the software with the totally reasonable expectation that it works. If it was free, I’d agree with you. But software companies are bound - regardless of their size - to unflagging dedication to quality assurance. It’s just part of the job.

I first played with Dramatica when it came out in '97, and I thought it was so completely thorough-going that it should be standard throughout the content industries. But what little script-reading-development I did in LA round that time was still reliant on gut instinct and cult of personality, and to my knowledge still is 20 years later. Can Dramatica blame an entire industry? Probably not.

I have come up with a temporary workaround for accessing the help files by posting them online at our support site.

DRAMATICA STORY EXPERT for MAC:

http://support.screenplay.com/help/dramaticastoryexpert5/index.html

DRAMATICA PRO on WINDOWS 10

For Windows users, I have posted the MAC version of the help file online here:

http://support.screenplay.com/help/dramaticapro4/index.html

2 Likes