That Magic Moment

Can anyone recommend a movie where two characters see each other and >>BAAM<< they are struck with each other? Love at first sight.

Ideally, this would be a movie where this happens as early as possible, but I’d also rather have good moments, so if those come late, so be it.

Thanks.

What about Ariel and Prince Eric in Disney’s The Little Mermaid? Ariel saw him first, but I think there was a magic moment like you describe when he starts to wake up on the beach, after she rescues him.

Also, I hate to do this to you but … Twilight (the first one). Bella sees Edward in the cafeteria first; she’s intrigued but I’m not sure if he notices her then or their eyes meet? Then just after that is the Biology class scene where they sit together – awkward, but definitely instant mutual attraction (and some other stuff, like Edward having to keep from chowing down on her).

Not sure if that’s what you’re looking for.

The Little Mermaid is a great example, mostly because I know it!

Twilight… I never found it to be very convincing, but that is also helpful actually.

Thanks for the suggestions.

George and Mary at the dance in It’s a Wonderful Life.

Bruce Willis’ and Kim Basinger’s characters in Blind Date.

Jane Austen’s Persuasion (starring Ciaran Hinds) is about rekindling a failed romance, but there’s tons of unspoken, thick emotion in just their looks. You know what they’re thinking without their saying it. There’s a great mutual moment of this towards the end.

Well, there’s Romeo and Juliet. And Titanic. And then…

Here’s a few more

1 Like

Here is a bunch of examples:

1 Like

1939 Goodbye Mr. Chips
Probably, Doctor Zivago
Maybe, Marty
Robert Taylor’s Waterloo Bridge
Tarzan, probably all of them when they first met

For now

1 Like

Imagine Me & You is pretty much love at first sight-- even says so in the trailer:

1 Like

What about Sleepless in Seattle?

Even before watching that scene again for this post, I recalled when they meet each other as being very convincing (although it is at the end of the movie – it isn’t the first time that they have met – I guess he sees her in the airport.).

I just rewatched that scene, and I can see why it stuck in my memory.

You could also count the moment that Annie heard Joe him on the radio. For her, it was almost like love at first listen.

Interesting that the magic moment for her was at the beginning of the movie based on what she heard and his magic moment was based on what he saw. The difference between men and women, I guess!

There are certain actors and movies that remind me why I love acting and why I have a degree in filmmaking and theatre rather than having something “useful” like nursing.

Every once in awhile, my acting bug is reawakened. Although I was in that world for 20 years, I don’t know if I ever will return, but seeing great performances always remind me why I dedicated half my life to it.

Sidenote: When Harry Met Sally also pops into my head because of the lack of a love at first sight theme. I’m not sure I’ve seen that entire movie from beginning to end, but another Meg Ryan movie where she excels.

1 Like

It might be an instantaneous falling in love with a family, which happened to an uncle of mine, who had a very happy marriage until his passing. The family unit (person with kids) might reflect the parent who had and was raising them. I thought of Sleepless for my list, but was on the fence because I was too close to its real life happening…haha.

haha.

Thanks everyone. This has been helpful to give me things to think about!

Sorry I’m late in responding. I’ve been busy with other things lately.

Somewhere in Time

1 Like