The Jim Method...and this is a problem because

So, I’m having trouble with my very first OS signpost which is Conceiving in terms of Instinct, Senses, Interpretation and Conditioning

I’d like to use the famous billionaire artist from a previous thread as a kind of playgound for this.

Conceiving:
The artist puts on an exhibition of a new building plan for the city, and this is a problem because it shows the public what kind of potential the city has and puts the city planners to shame because they have already allocated kickbacks to their cronies in property development. Basically, the artist’s ideas upset the balance of power in the city.

This new city plan in terms of Instinct:

I can’t for the life of me see where Instinct would pose a problem within this scenerio. So, let’s see…the artist’s instinct is to create. The city planner’s instinct is to take the easy, safe way out. Each profession has its own instinct. So, is it that instincts clash? If so…

Instinct is a problem because the artist can’t help but build prototypes of his ideas and display them throughout the city. The police officers deem the protoypes as a hazard to public safety and remove the prototypes which makes the artist think they are trying to shut him down. So he starts digging around for answers and making calls to the mayor.

Senses: touch, smell, hearing are a problem because - stuck.

Interpretation - again stuck.

Conditioning - the city residents like the artist’s unusual ideas and decide to wage a campaign in support of the artist. At night, graffiti artists start defacing old buildings with political messages. During the day, activists inundate the mayor’s office with calls demanding they consider the artist’s ideas for a new and improved city. The residents realise they can demand better now that they see what is possible.

What do you think? Is this even on the right track?

2 Likes

Just brainstorming, but what if:

Instinct:
“Just before his initial exhibition, one of the artists friends runs into a city planners/power-brokers. While the planner assures the artist that he and his colleagues are behind the plan, the friend gets an uncomfortable feeling and becomes convinced that the planners are going to sabotage the artist’s presentation. He rushes off but is too late to stop the presentation from starting.

Senses:
“In the middle of the open house presentation, a group of ‘concerned citizens’ begins shouting from the back of the room about the artist’s plans, drowning out his ability to make his case. It turns out these protestors have received spurious information that the artists’ installations are ruining visibility for drivers and are causing accidents and pedestrian fatalities.”

Interpretation:
“In response to safety concerns, the police begin removing the artist’s installations. The artist, certain that a proper interpretation of the data would show that his designs are in no way responsible for the increase in accidents, demands to examine the evidence, only to discover that it has been mysteriously destroyed.”

Conditioning:
“Allies of the city planners begin a public campaign, stoking public fear of the new ideas in the name of safety. At the same time, some of the city residents like the artist’s unusual ideas and decide to wage a campaign in support of the artist. At night, graffiti artists start defacing old buildings with political messages. During the day, activists inundate the mayor’s office with calls demanding they consider the artist’s ideas for a new and improved city. The residents realize they can demand better now that they see what is possible if they can just get past the conditioned fear of new ideas.”

5 Likes

Thank you, @Lakis.

Your suggestions are a real breakthrough for me. I couldn’t see for the life of me how instinct or senses could possibly work. But I really enjoyed seeing how you put it to work here.

Again, thank you!

3 Likes