The Last Jedi discussion (not an analysis thread)

Well said. I think of it this way: content criticisms aside, why don’t I feel much story anticipation for 9? Sure, I feel some anticipation due to loyalty and intellectual curiosity about how they’re going to write their way out of this, but not “OMG, how will he/she/they get out of this?”

I have a hypothesis with 2 parts.

1. What are the personal dramatic questions that were raised in TFA and/or TLJ that haven’t been answered yet and need to be answered in 9? I can’t think of any. Sure, they could contradict previous answers. While that would technically be bad writing, I suspect we’ll be happier with that than we would with strict coherence given the current mess. I think the current condition of the story is that broken. Luckily, JJ Abrams isn’t famous for story coherence. On the other hand, he’s also not famous for satisfying answers to big mysteries.

2. The #1 structural reason why the story is so broken is that the nominal MC Rey wasn’t the actual MC of either movie. So even if they write her as the MC for 9 and have some payoff at the end of 9, I don’t see how the payoff could possibly be a “trilogy-sized” payoff.

2 Likes

Here’s some of what I see as the biggest problems.

1. By ignoring TFA and making large changes to various characters, this “trilogy” has lost any sense of cohesion. TLJ feels like neither a continuation of TFA nor a stepping off point to another movie and definitely doesn’t feel like the middle part of a story. I think there are ways to fix this in the third movie so that, as a whole (trying to think holistically here) it feels like a trilogy again. To do this, they probably would have to contradict some parts of TLJ, but that shouldn’t be a problem. The people that liked TLJ apparently had no problem that it contradicted TFA and the original trilogy and the only way to get a decent part of the audience back is to contradict TLJ and say ‘no, actually we need to hold onto parts of the past, some of it does matter.’ I can’t think of a good way to do this, but there is a way that it can be done and at least have this thing make sense as a trilogy instead of being a tale told in three parts.
  2. You’d have to have seen Mark Hamill’s comment for this to make sense, but Luke Skywalker hasn’t even been in this series yet. All we’ve seen so far is Jake Skywalker. Again, there is a way to fix this. It’s not a good one, but it would be better, in my opinion, than what we’ve got.
  3. They keep calling these episodes 7, 8, and 9 as though they’ve are a continuation of the Skywalker episodes 1-6. To me, these are the Rey and Finn saga, completely unrelated to the Skywalker saga, and the numbering suggests Rey and Finn episodes 1-6 in the future. With TFA, I was fine with it being episode 7 of a Skywalker saga. But with TLJ, that has changed. Again, I think this can be fixed. I can’t think of a great fix, but I can think of one that, if done, would at least have me giving Disney/Mucasfilm another chance.

So what is it that I’ve come up with to fix all these problems? Well, I don’t have time to type it out right now. Haha. But maybe I’ll post it when I get a chance, just for fun.

[quote=“Gregolas, post:23, topic:1469, full:true”]
Here’s some of what I see as the biggest problems.

1. By ignoring TFA and making large changes to various characters, this “trilogy” has lost any sense of cohesion. TLJ feels like neither a continuation of TFA nor a stepping off point to another movie and definitely doesn’t feel like the middle part of a story. I think there are ways to fix this in the third movie so that, as a whole (trying to think holistically here) it feels like a trilogy again. To do this, they probably would have to contradict some parts of TLJ, but that shouldn’t be a problem. The people that liked TLJ apparently had no problem that it contradicted TFA and the original trilogy and the only way to get a decent part of the audience back is to contradict TLJ and say ‘no, actually we need to hold onto parts of the past, some of it does matter.’ I can’t think of a good way to do this, but there is a way that it can be done and at least have this thing make sense as a trilogy instead of being a tale told in three parts. [/quote]
    Ok, maybe I missed something, but where is TLJ contradicting TFA? And where is it contradicting the original trilogy? And if it does, where does it actually matter, and cannot be explained away with a 30-year time difference?

The biggest problem Star Wars has is its Fandom, and the people who keep making Star Wars movies instead of leaving the Franchise alone.

Now that you mention #3, in retrospect perhaps the ideal way forward for 7-9 was to not have any major roles for characters from 4-6. It’s hard (impossible?) to share the MC role over a trilogy. An extreme version of such a “merge old with new” handoff mess is Terminator Genisys–but that’s apples to oranges since it was also hampered by turning into Primer due to the layers of time travel.

Perhaps the plan all along has been to have 7-9 serve as a handoff trilogy before the bona fide Rey trilogy in 10-12. I would be thrilled to see that and I would happily eat crow if that’s how it plays out. Perhaps that’s why Rey (and possibly Finn) were cast with actors so young. And I think her comment that “episode 9 is it for me” is just a sensible negotiating tactic. I could just be thinking wishfully.

Just one off the top of my head…I forget the exact lines, but I’m pretty sure the Kylo Ren sees Rey and says something like ‘so you’re the girl’ and then Snoke wants her brought to him. Why? Because she’s a nobody orphan? No, because TFA was setting her up to be somebody. And I don’t know the economics of a galaxy far far away a long time ago, but seeing Rey’s parents flying away in a ship as she’s left behind and being told they need drinking money makes one wonder how many credits a beer costs on that planet.

You sound like you might work for Lucasfilm. Haha. Clearly the problem with Star Wars is the people who care about it enough to ask for some consistency in story and character. Just look at how those people have failed The Lord of the Rings and Marvel movies! When fans feel that something they love is being ruined, clearly the best course is to stay quiet and let it be ruined.

Look, it’s fine to like TLJ, but it ignores and/or changes so much that I’m not even sure how it can be in the same canon as TFA. Clearly Lucasfilm is happy enough with TLJ that they’re going to dismiss every valid criticism with ‘you’re just threatened by women’ and whatnot. That’s childish, but it’s fine. If it’s worth it to them to lose eighty plus million dollars on Solo, they can and will continue down that path and the people that love Star Wars will step aside and let Lucasfilm make movies for people who like TLJ. In the meantime, fans are just taking Rose Tico’s advice And trying to save what they love.

And by the way, Lucasfilms’ name calling and denying that a large part of the fans disliked the movie gives off the distinct vibe of fighting what they hate.

Note: the sarcasm in this post is all meant ina good-natured, joking way.

In hindsight, I think that would have been preferable. Would have been hard to market a Star Wars movie without original characters, though. But really, there was no reason not to include the original characters. All they had todo was treat the originals With respect for three movies. Then they could have done whatever they wanted.

Here’s a better one. Luke spent 3 movies becoming a Jedi, redeeming his father, and killing the emperor and presumably freeing the galaxy from the evil empires grasp. I get that TLJ tells us that Luke screwed up by considering killing Ben, but that was a very unjedi-and very unLuke-thing to do. Did something happen in the last 30 years to make Luke decide the evil empire was really not so bad after all? Him being a Jedi is what saved the galaxy in the original trilogy. Why would he ever think it was time for the Jedi to end? That seems like a contradiction that thirty years of being a grumpy old man doesn’t fix that I would say matters. If the thing with Ben was supposed to justify it, it didn’t do it for me because Luke already saw the bad in him before he got caught about to kill him. If anything, I would think that should be where he realizes he needs to be more Jedi. Not less.

1 Like

OMG! That sounds horrible! They can just reboot the series and say it was an alternate universe, or better yet, just ignore the Han Solo death and this Luke mess. I guarantee, no one will complain…haha.

1 Like

I would love it. X-Men Days of Future Past took this “do over” route (after the headscratcher & downer of X-Men 3), and no one was happier at the end of that movie than I was.

1 Like