The Meaning of Objective Character Elements

Hello all,

First time poster, trying to really dive deeply into the story mind theory. I apologize in advance because I may be peppering the community with a lot of questions in the coming weeks. Now, I don’t mean to start on a negative note, but the theory book could really stand a re-write or two. Some of the phrasing is just downright confusing.

In the section called “Rules for Building Characters” specifically, I find this quote very difficult to understand:

Wouldn’t a fixed grouping of characteristics prevent a Character from growing?
For the answer, look back at what these characteristics really are. They are the problem-solving processes within the Story Mind seen Objectively. They are Objective Characters. Objectively, characters remain the same; it is Subjectively that they grow as points of view change.

Does this mean that the objective circumstance in which a character operates doesn’t change, merely their perspective of it? I find the very notions of “objective” and “subjective” characters to be deeply problematic from an epistemological standpoint. Can anyone provide any clarification as to their thoughts on those terms?

If you think of the Objective characters as Archetypes, even complex Archetypes they will fall into categories such as Protagonist, where the Protagonist’s default grouping under Motivation is Pursue and Consider. Regardless if this character changes or remains the same, throughout the story and through to the end he will still be the Protagonist. Objectively, he will Pursue and Consider.

This sounds to be half right. Circumstantially, as he/she is Protagonist, they will always be that. And subjectively as the Main Character, the eyes from which the audience experiences the story, their perspective about how they are solving their own personal problem is changing (in a Change MC).

Instead of focusing on the theory, here, find a story and ask yourself questions about the objective characters. Do you see them changing? How?

It’s probably best to watch a movie that the DUG has analyzed in the past six months. At least then you’ll know somebody has seen it recently.

You’re going to find that Dramatica sometimes uses terms in a way that you’re not familiar with. It will take some time for you to understand but it’s well worth it.

Objective characters do not grow because from an objective viewpoint you only measure their functions.

Subjective characters do grow. Main and Influence Character.

Also.

Why the heck did this pop up again?

1 Like