The story form of Game of Thrones? (Season 1)

Overall Story - Activity
MC - Eddard Stark?
IC - ?
Relationship Throughline - ?

Steadfast, Stop, ?, Logical, Action, Optionlock, Failure, Bad
Any guesses?

I’m pretty confident each season of GoT has multiple storyforms lol… I feel that there are multiple MC’s especially in the earlier seasons. There are several arguments going on in each season. Each MC has their own problem that they are trying to resolve. Some change some don’t. That is my guesstimate.

1 Like

Almost 100% sure that Ned’s Resolve Changes over the first season–and he suffers the same consequence he dealt out in the beginning for it. I have always wanted to storyform that first season - I agree that there are other storyforms at play here, but definitely the Ned/King Robert storyform completes itself in this first season. The others are just starting.

3 Likes

Now the GOT is over.
Does anyone have any idea about the overall storyform?
Or about the storyform of the final season**? :slight_smile:

(**If such thing exists. :wink:)

2 Likes

If there is a storyform for the final season, I will be super disappointed. The last season was so bad, so so bad.

2 Likes

I agree … it was disappointing to say the least.

It would be interesting if we could figure out why from a Dramatica perspective. A lot of people were upset by Dany’s change at the end (and the relationship change) but to me the problem was primarily that it didn’t feel earned. I wonder if this was because there was a Signpost missing or something like that.

Unfortunately this kind of analysis is a bit time intensive if you have to rewatch the whole series (or even a season). I guess if we’ve seen the whole thing at least once we could try to do it based on IMDB plot summaries or something.

2 Likes

I tend to think something like Game of Thrones resists easily devising a storyform because in a lot of ways it’s not one story (with the possible exception of season 1 which really did feel like it was condensed down to Ned Stark’s story.) But in most seasons you could just extract one of the POV characters and find a pretty clear OS, MC, IC, and RS just for them. Think of one of the middle seasons where Jayme Lannister loses his hand and spends most of the season with Brienne. That story is so vastly different from the one Jon was dealing with north of the wall. The same is true of Dannyeris in Essos and probably of Arya as well. This isn’t the case every season, of course, because as I recall in the subsequent season Jayme was just a part of someone else’s story.

Warning: season 8 spoilers from here on . . .

The problem with season 8 for me is precisely that it does collapse down into a single storyform. Jon Snow is the MC (in the situation of being the true king but not wanting to be), Dany is the IC (with the fixed attitude that she must be queen no matter what), the OS is in the activities of fighting for power and the MC in manipulation as the lovers fall apart because of their incompatible natures. On the MC/IC axis, Dany’s all about “the ends justify the means”, Jon refuses until the finale to do what everyone keeps telling him he needs to do, and finally changes to her position when he kills her.

So maybe what makes season 6 unsatisfying for viewers is that they’d grown accustomed to a multi-storyform show that always felt richer and more complex and in the end were given a pretty bog-standard final season that’s just about a guy who should’ve taken the throne but didn’t want to pay the price of being king. The story goal was to save the seven kingdoms (which they did), but it turned out bad for Jon (who asks at the end if he’ll ever know if what he did was right). Though you could argue the epilogue removes some of his angst.

5 Likes

I always thought that GOT suffered from outpacing its source material. The entire feel of the series changed the moment that it diverged from the books.

In addition, it wrapped up at warp speed even though other parts of the series had a much slower pacing.

In the end, I think that people just felt like two different authors wrote the story… and they’re right.

3 Likes

I’m wondering about if there was two incomplete stories in the season: one about the war against the Night King (Protagonist: Jon Snow; Antagonist: the Night King), and one about the war for the Iron Throne (Protagonist: Daenerys?, Antagonist: Cersei).

At least, Jon was set up as the protagonist of the Night King’s substory in the earlier seasons, so when

SPOILER…

Arya kills the Night King, it feels somewhat weird.

1 Like

They clearly had a storyform in mind.

They just skipped a couple Signposts :slight_smile:

3 Likes

At 15 million bucks an episode, I can see their incentive for condensing and wrapping things up as quick as possible while allowing for at least two maybe three spinoffs that will be cheaper to make.

They are planning on related shows aren’t they?

1 Like

This strikes me is pretty right on. I would guess the concerns are lower left – Obtaining, Future, Becoming, Subconscious seem to fit.

But I agree with Jim about the missing signposts.

2 Likes

I agree with both of you. :slight_smile:

What about OS Issue as Approach, and MC Issue as Choice?
The story is about “Sometimes duty is the death of love,” - Does it mean that the problem is Feeling and the Solution is Logic?

Actually sorry – now that I think about it, it seems to me that the Domains of Jon and Dany are flipped and Dany should be Universe (Do-er) and Jon Mind (Be-er).

Dany’s problem is that she is the heir to the throne and this is potentially challenged by Jon’s secret identity. This is an external Situation (Universe). She also clearly believes in changing the external environment rather than changing herself.

Jon’s problem is that in spite of what everyone keeps telling him, he is stuck in the “obey your queen” mindset. His inequity comes not primarily from the fact that he is the rightful heir, but from his attitude toward that fact (I refuse to be king, you should obey your queen, etc.). He prefers to accommodate himself to the external reality rather than change it (Be-er).

His change comes at that last moment when he finally takes action to resolve things (Be-er to Do-er).

2 Likes

That’s, of course, assuming Dany is the Influence Character…:wink:

Is she not the influence character?

I have trouble seeing her as the MC.

Unless you mean that Tyrion is the IC? Hmmm…

There’s definitely some Relationship Story stuff there (aunt/nephew…which, I never thought I would be typing in this context :laughing:)

but as far as Influence Character goes, there are a bunch of other people who approach the same problem differently…(think perspective, not character).

1 Like

lol.

Okay, this makes sense. RS is mostly Dany and Jon.

IC perspectives are Sansa, Varris and Tyrion to one degree or another.

Does that sound right?

Actually, you have Varris trying to convince Tyrion first, with Tyrion on the other side. Not sure how that works (or if it does?)

You actually forgot one very important voice…

1 Like

Oh wow, yeah! Of course!

I still have trouble remembering that ICs who are “off screen” can as influential as anyone else.

Unless we’re talking about a larger storyform arc for the whole season?