Think of each term in the dramatica tables as a problem or solution

Last year Jim hull said in an article on narrative first that it’s important to think of each story point as a problem. I believe it’s important to think of each story point either as a problem or solution not just a problem.

If you think of the story points only as a problem you get a sad feel to the story.

If you think of the story points as a solution you can a happy feel to the story.

This isn’t true. Problems could be drives, and have a “positive” impact. In the RS Throughline, the Problem could be that one thing uniting the characters for example, whereas the Solution would be what makes the relationship falls apart. Like a Steadfast Character.

1 Like

A math problem doesn’t have a sad side. Think of the term from a technical point of view, as when you think of the term “disaster” in Goal-Conflict-Disaster theory.

For a particular story (storyform), the story points you want to think of as problems or sources of conflict are:

• Domain, Concern (incl. Story Goal), Issue, Problem (these are the most “pure” sources of conflict and often work as “drives”, like a drive to Help or a drive to secure one’s Future)
  • Signposts (sources of conflict for that act)
  • Focus and Direction (aka Symptom and Response, these aren’t the root sources of conflict, but they cause difficulties because the Focus is not the real problem, so focusing on it and going with the Direction doesn’t solve things and often just makes things worse)
  • Catalyst (increases conflict, heats things up)
  • MC Critical Flaw (undoes or prevents MC Unique Ability)
  • Requirements, Prerequisites, Preconditions, Cost (cause difficulties in how they need to be met)
  • Forewarnings, Consequence (scary!)

I have trouble seeing the following as sources of conflict. There might be a way to view them that way, but I’m not sure it’s useful to do so. I think it’s best to use their strict definitions rather than trying to see them as sources of conflict.

• Solution, Inhibitor, MC Unique Ability, Dividends, Benchmarks
  • IC Unique Ability and IC Critical Flaw (these are problems from the point of view of the MC resisting change or needing to change, but I still think their actual definitions serve the writer better)
2 Likes

thanks, it’s the story outcome or story judgement that determine if a story ends up sad or not

1 Like

The Story Judgment does have a role in how the audience will feel about this story, but numerous factors like Costs can also change audience reception (even in a Judgment Good Story). It depends, really.