Understanding Reconsider as IC Problem

Since the IC’s function, including his Concern, Issue, Problem, etc… are all about his impact or influence on the MC, I’m sort of having difficulty understanding my particular IC’s problem of Reconsider… My MC’s problem is Uncontrolled.

My MC is a change character… so could my IC’s problem of Reconsider be related to his inability to convince the MC to reconsider his course of action (at least until the end, where the MC finally DOES reconsider).

I’m also confused about Consider as a solution to Reconsider. Isn’t an initial Consideration required anyway, BEFORE one can Reconsider? And if that’s the case, I’m trying to see how a consideration can be a solution to reconsideration. This feels like yet another "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?: situation.

Edit: I did just come to the realization that the Reconsider/Consider Problem/Solution doesn’t necessarily have to revolve around a single thing to be considered. Is that correct? If my IC’s Problem is getting the MC to Reconsider a certain “thing”… could his solution be about getting the MC to Consider something else instead? In other words, he can’t gain any ground to get the MC to Reconsider Point A, so his solution might be to get the MC to Consider Point B, C, or D?

I believe that’s correct. In Dramatica Story Expert, the gists tend to vary wildly enough (for example; Problem of Reconsidering a Marriage Proposal and Solution of Cogitating about a Particular Group) that I think it’s safe to switch topics as long as your MC is considering something relevant by the end.

The point I wanted to make is that Reconsider doesn’t necessarily have to be reconsidering just one thing – it doesn’t have to be the solution to a problematic consideration. It could be a character that is CONSTANTLY rethinking their actions, so they actually don’t do anything. Someone that is constantly weighing the pros and cons and repeating endlessly, etc. They might just change their mind constantly. If that’s the case, the solution to the constant Reconsideration would be to Consider the situation once, and take action without stopping to think if it’s right or wrong.

1 Like

I think @jamjam1794 sums it up nicely. I just want to add that, my personal preference for illustrating the various appreciations such as problem and solution is to not be so literal. You risk hitting the same note over and over throughout the story if the IC is simply trying to get the MC to reconsider something. The tension, stakes, the arc of that character could come off as flat.

I look at each element as a way to flavor the natures of these characters on a very base or fundamental level. Also as a way to flavor the nature of their ongoing conflicts. I like to remind myself that the entirety of the Dramatica chart and its various Storyforms are only describing the underlying thematics that go into the content its not the content itself or the subject matter. This has been repeated many times by @chuntley during his video analysis.

Saying the IC impacts the MC by trying to get him to reconsider is not technically wrong but I think you are missing out on an entire canvas of options available.

2 Likes

Last night’s analysis of Kramer vs Kramer has a solution of Reconsider (in two domains). What gets reconsidered in each Domain is not what had been Considered, so yes, you can switch.

Also, the thing with Consider as a solution is that, if the character were looking at the same topic, he would have to unburden himself from all of his previous considerations and look at something as though it were new to him.

2 Likes

Thanks, Dan, and everyone, for your comments.

It’s not really my intention to take things strictly literally… Since I’m trying to understand some of the finer points of the theory, I tend to simplify things when I’m describing the issue I’m confused about. I do realize that it doesn’t always have to be literal, but to get the clearest understanding, I start with the literal first since it’s the most tangible. Then, when I feel I have a clearer understanding, I can apply that new knowledge in “non-literal” ways, if that makes sense.

2 Likes

I suppose my preference for looking at the literal first might betray my preference for linear thinking? lol… I guess that means I’m a Male Mental Sex MC in my own narrative, lol :stuck_out_tongue:

I do sometimes approach things holistically, though… so truthfully, my problem-solving style is a mixed bag.

I think we all do. We utilize both. I was watching one of Melanie’s videos where she describes the notion of the two styles as separate being based on models of the classic male and classic female problem-solving that dominated the west in history. But as our culture moves forward and the circumstances we find ourselves in change from our early formative days and on, the space separating the two becomes narrower and will eventually overlap. I think she even talks about updating the model when that time comes.

1 Like