Unique Ability to achieve story goal/resolution

Does the unique ability drive the story forward towards its goal only at the climax or can it be only the first domino in a series of events that follow up to achieving the story goal? I know it should be introduced throughout the story as a part of the main character’s description, but my question is more directed to how it achieves the goal specifically. Hope that makes sense.

I think that depends on your choice or preference. However, as a quick-and-dirty rule, my recommendation would be to demonstrate the MC Unique Ability once per Act. As to whether it achieves the Goal, I think each time it appears, it should suggest to the audience that it has the power to bring about Success, even if it doesn’t immediately do that. You might even have a scene where the characters’ progress is thwarted because of this trait: for example, a character whose Unique Ability is their kindness and self-sacrifice might unwittingly fall into the bad guy’s trap because they try to save a helpless bystander. However, this scene would still be framed in such a way that suggests that kindness will always overcome in the long run.

That’s my take, anyway. I could conceivably imagine a story where a character’s weakness turns out to be their true strength, and even the audience is fooled for most of the story. (Sadness is the IC in Inside Out, but her powers of empathy and vulnerability might follow this pattern.)

5 Likes

Thank you actingpower for your detailed and excellent response. It really does help me understand better. Your brainstorming here has really helped me think outside the box I was in and make some progress on my story. Much appreciated !!

Just to add to what @actingpower said, I’m pretty sure that Buttercup’s Unique Ability of Reappraisal in The Princess Bride works exactly like you describe – the first domino in a series of events that end up leading to achieving the story goal. She reappraises that Humperdink didn’t actually send his four fastest ships and that he’s really “nothing but a coward with a heart full of fear”, which ends up making him go a bit crazy and kill Westley, which leads to Fezzik and Inigo finding Westley and rescuing him, and their storming the castle. And the whole time she’s sticking to her reappraisal which continues to sow fear and doubt in Humperdink, so that he fails to wed her properly, and in the end he’s vulnerable to Westley’s grand bluff.

2 Likes

Ah yes! This is exactly was I was speculating about with the domino effect. Thanks for the very clear example.