What might be a goal/OS Concern ? if-----

If I tell story of the soldier who was taken prisoner. Can the purpose (I mean goal) being, not to open a secret?

If yes then what category I have to look for it.

Obtaining or where?

please help me thank you.

was taken prisoner … not to open a secret

If your protagonist doesn’t want to disclose a secret after he was taken prisoner the goal could be:

• consider not to disclose a secret (Future, Openness)
  • consider how to avoid the disclosure of a secret (Obtaining, Approach)
  • consider to disclose a secret to avoid being killed (Becoming, Rationalization)
  • consider to disclose a secret because fearing torture (Closure, Subconcious)

What the goal is, depends also on the kind of story you want to tell:

• a story with lots of activities (digging a tunnel, escaping from prison, …)
  • a story focusing on the situation in a prison (being open to disclose a secret, attempting not to disclose a secret)
  • a story about how people think in a prison (planning an escape,…)
  • a story about the mindset of people in a prison (fearing torture and disclosing a secret)
4 Likes

First of all, thank you.

• a story about the mindset of people in a prison (fearing torture and disclosing a secret)

soldier consider not to disclose a secret

that is why In the end he was killed by opponents

As you told me my goal must be future?

I am asking that because being sure.

Thank you so much one more time :slight_smile:

1 Like

You might also want to consider The Present (enduring torture is a concern of the present) and Learning aka Gathering Information (extracting the secret from the prisoner, and the Protagonist having to resist that).

I would suggest to pencil in a bunch of options for your Goal / OS Concern, then look to other throughlines to see what works for those.

4 Likes

Thank you so much

Did you mean that my goal might be learning?

Or I don’t understood. what do you mean in last sentence. :frowning:

I took it to mean the prisoner has to fight off the interrogators determination to ‘learn’ the secrets of the prisoner. Secrets mean someone wants to know, that someone wants to learn what they are. Also, maybe the prisoner has to ‘learn ‘ how to manipulate the interrogator, to gain time. Or the prisoner needs to learn how to tolerate the interrogations so the secrets go with him to the grave.

3 Likes

Yes – it MIGHT be.

What I meant was, unless you’re ABSOLUTELY sure, I don’t think it’s a good idea to firmly decide on one story point (such as Goal) in isolation. Instead, mark down several options for Goal, and then look at the other story points to see how they might affect your choice of Goal.

For example, if you picked Obtaining as your one and only choice for the Goal, the Dramatica software would prevent you from using The Present as the MC Concern. But, if Learning is a possibility for the Goal, then The Present is a valid MC Concern.

The software does allow you to select multiple possibilities for each story point like this. It’s a great feature.

3 Likes

Thank you so much Prish.
it was very helpful for me:heart_eyes:

1 Like

Now I understood what did you mean.
It is so nice to helping me.

Thank you so much thank you a lot:heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Hi @Mentesha,

If it’s helpful, here is a discussion where we tried to work through an idea for a story using different Domains and Concerns for the Overall Story (thanks to @Greg).

4 Likes