Working with this diagram for PSR

I came up with this today. The idea is to show context of a PSR step. This shows signpost 1, OS throughline, z-pattern.

I’m using Omnigraffle, as always.

I find that I am writing from this, producing three things: something I call the “Meeting Ground”, an abstracted appreciation using only I, You, He, and They, with no story context, about the subtext shown by this diagram for a single step; then a Story Specific Appreciation, and then finally an Illustration.

I’ll post what I mean by that at some point. The idea is, burn the subtext into your head, and then let that subtext influence what illustration you come up with. But you have to do some upfront mental work to get that to work.

1 Like

here’s how I organize the signposts and through lines in Omnigraffle, I create a canvas per signpost/throughline

Ok, I am VERY pleased with this. In this case, I would have completely missed that I was opposing two ways of thinking, and that permission was conceiving, if I hadn’t had the diagram and had just been relying on the PSR Report. It seems to me that it’s important to see the opposing themes, or if you will the ‘new idea in terms of’ in the context of the theme of the PSR quad.

So I went from this:

to coming up with this

@jhull

Incidentally, this is where the creativity and individuality of the writer really comes out: no one will write this the same way.

oh, haha, I see this is where Jim’s ‘rejection’ replaces ‘non-acceptance’. I didn’t get his earlier ‘rebel yell.’

here’s the second step in the z diagram. this worked really well too, in my opinion.

and then the last member of the quad…