Writing With Subtext

I meant to post on here a while a go. Jim and I are doing a youtube series on how to use Dramatica via his amazing app Subtext to write a story. I just posted the second episode. I hope you all can check it out. And you know, subscribe.

8 Likes

Just watched this - thanks @jassnip and @jhull, this is fantastically helpful! It’s great to be able to watch Dramatica coaching in the process of building a storyform out of the initial seeds of a story, rather than analyzing an already complete story. Lots of lights turned on for me, looking forward to the next episode!

3 Likes

Thank you! It’s good to know we are hitting the mark.

1 Like

Awesome.

Enjoy the thoughtful discussion and longer episodes now—by the 7th or 8th season we plan on blasting through the entire process, skipping over key points because we’re more interested in working on something else. :grin:

6 Likes

So excited to find time to watch this.

2 Likes

I’ve watched both episodes now … have to say I was on the edge of my seat in episode two waiting to find out some details on the storyform! I can hardly wait for more!

6 Likes

Bump. Episode 3 is up now.

5 Likes

Bump. Episode 4 is up OS with Decision Driver

Hope, y’all enjoy it.

4 Likes

It was great! I really liked how you solved the problem where you had Layla deciding to do something that she already wanted to do (so there was no conflict and it wasn’t a dilemma) by adding that huge cost that could directly impact what she wanted… “Layla decides to accept being drugged in order to stay and help her brother” – perfect!

For the Decision Driver, I think it was the Midpoint, where Ebony is going to use her method and expedite taking the magic… Couldn’t that just be that whoever is in charge (the Coven and/or Hepsebah) decides to allow Ebony to try her thing on Kosey?

3 Likes

Bump. Episode 5 is up OS with Action drive plus starting the OS PSR

4 Likes

I know what I’m watching tonight!

2 Likes

Same here! It’ll be loads of fun.

1 Like

@jhull Jim, one thing I was going to mention about Episode 4 is that I found the whole process of you helping Diane to figure out her drivers and make them stronger to be EXTREMELY educational. Even though I’m someone who “knows” all the requirements for drivers, seeing you help someone else through it was awesome.

So… I was going to suggest that as a potential exercise you could do during a Subtext Writer’s Room sometime, maybe pick one or two attendees who are willing to be guinea pigs like Diane was, and go through the 5 Driver Events for a current story they’re working on. I think more of these would be helpful and a great boon to Subtext subscribers to be able to review later on, when something twigs with a new story someone is working on.

8 Likes

Thumbs up on that idea ^^

2 Likes

@mlucas thank you for volunteering :rofl: you’re up first tomorrow

7 Likes

Agree – very helpful to see the process in action!

And I’ll volunteer whenever you need a volunteer :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Bump. It’s 24 hours after I wanted to get this up…but it is now. Episode 6: Plotting Struggles

7 Likes

Yay! I was hoping there’d be a new episode soon.

I was excited in the last episode to see the gist for Learning I had suggested in Subtext: keeping someone from finding out about something. I was like, ooh, my gist is famous!

2 Likes

Oh, for those watching the Subtext Writer’s Room today (June 27), I totally forgot to mention one thing about the new First Driver which Jim had helped me figure out…

The Cat Elders decide to allow new tenants in Waverley Manor for the first time in fifty years… (leading to a bunch of disagreement and conflict about whether dogs should be allowed in)

And the OS Act 1 first PSR Item is… drum roll … Permission!!

It’s so accurate it’s almost scary! Jim was the one who suggested that, so I wonder if Jim’s story sense is so good now he can glance at the storyform (without checking the PSR) and subconsciously know what should come first…! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi Diane, Jim -

Firstly, I’m really enjoying the video series. It’s always educational to see the process first hand - I wish I could 4x fast forward my own meandering uncertainty, sometimes. I’m especially interested to see how much of the iron and char of Diane’s original concept emerges as the tempered Dramatica steel at the end of all the hammering.

Secondly, apologies for inserting my question here - I tried to find/use the Reply as Linked Topic button, but I’m either not worthy, yet, or that feature isn’t working for me for some reason.

Finally and thirdly,
@Jhull in a reply, here: Breaking Down Story Units for Novels you indicate that the Story Drivers should have their own structural scene/sequence. At 9min30sec in episode 6 of Writing With Subtext, you reply to state, effectively “The Driver doesn’t get its own beat”.

If I’ve misunderstood something, can you indicate what it is?

2 Likes