You Can't ____, Don't You Dare____, either or THINK you can!

Considering @jhull’s most recent article/email

I’ve found it helpful to put it into this kind of question to tighten up the tension during the writing process.

While I was writing, I was concentrating on the understanding as a plot focus. But as a point of CONFLICT, I know I need to really show that it’s not just a journey through, for example, UNDERSTANDING. Everything has to be going against that enterprise.

I have Understanding, Learning, Doing, Obtaining
So to check if I have that as a point of conflict, I’m the story telling my Protagonist…

1. You’d Better Not Understand!, Don’t you DARE Understand,
  2. You’d Better Not Learn!, Don’t you DARE Understand,
  3. You’d Better Not Do!, Don’t you DARE Do,
  4. You’d Better Not Obtain!, Don’t you DARE Obtain.

or with the PSR

• 1.1) You’d Better Not Understand!, Don’t you DARE Understand, or even try to get PERMISSION to Understand!

• 1.2/3)…or even think you NEED or be EXPEDIENT to Understand I won’t have it!! At all whatsoever.

• 1.4)…oh, so now you’re into DEFICIENCY. Fine, yeah. You are so Deficient you CAN’T UNDERSTAND! So there.

• 2.1 Oh. You think you’re so smart, Getting through the cracks at Understanding. Well I’ll tell you now. You are NOT Learning. Not > whatsoever! Or even adjusting your STATE OF BEING so you Learn

etc.

I think this is helpful, at least for me to recognize that the Story Mind is making things complicated for the Protagonist, making that the point of conflict, not just a point of plot. And in the same way, I’m doing this for the other throughlines.

Wondering what you think.

While the storyform is tied to mine, this is how I’ve tweaked this idea according to each different throughline.

You’ll need to plug in your PSR details. If someone is brilliant, they could set it up like Table of Scenes, but meanwhile, imho this is a helpful visual at the Story Mind complicating life for everyone.

TENSION FOR STORYTELLING excel DOWNLOAD