Your Life Story

It’s midnight in China and I decided to procrastinate a bit…

I’m curious to know about the folks here, because it would be interesting to know what perspective a lot of you are coming from. Are there more screenwriters than novelists? Playwrights? Critics?

Here’s a bit about me:

• I currently teach Drama in China at the high school level.

• Before that, I taught university in Colombia.

• One of my degrees is in Digital Film.

• I have very little faith in the value of higher education, and I’m proud to say that, thousands of dollars later, I’ve almost removed all justifications of its importance.

• I’ve played around in the film festival circuit for about 20 years from an acting, filmmaking, and screenwriting perspective.

• I’m a better actor than screenwriter and a better screenwriter than filmmaker.

• I’m what I call a practiced extrovert (read introvert that can play a role – thank you acting skills :smiley: ).

• I’ve become intrigued with noveling because it is a one person game and if I write a screenplay – the actor in me hates to give it away and if it isn’t made… it feels incomplete.

• I feel as though novel writing is fantastically complicated in comparison.

• I’m married to a Colombian. Luckily I speak Spanish passably because her English is…

• My name is Jeremy. Fred is my absolutely terrible pseudonym.

I generally don’t like these types of threads, but it seemed like a fine way to avoid writing.

1 Like

Reading our posts would give a lot of information about our lives. Prish…a solutionaholic.

1 Like

And I do… organically. Funny, I was just reading some writer’s guide or another and they were talking about the type that likes to fix things (and other types). I wonder if that would fall under the purpose elements? On second thought, it sounds like methodology. Or both…

1 Like

This could probably fit a lot of different areas of the model, depending on where the conflict is coming from. But one that really comes to mind is the difference between Help and Support. You could show that difference using OS character elements. Or in a throughline with an Issue of Attitude, maybe Support is the Solution that’s really needed – really listening to someone, offering moral support – but the character(s) keep trying to fix things instead (Focus or Direction of Help).

I think a lot of the time men offer help (“your boss did that? ok here, I’ll help you start looking for a new job…”) when women really want support (“oh that’s terrible. how did it make you feel?”).

1 Like
2 Likes