Companion & Dependent Pairs in practice

I was going to say something similar. Like in a story with a Problem of Evaluation the characters are driven to evaluate, but what you see the most is them acting on those evaluations and that causes them trouble. I think acting on an evaluation is the tail end of the process of evaluation, it’s part and parcel of the same thing, and I’m sure Deduction and Certainty work the same way.

Certainty could be someone motivated by their own certainty – “I was certain you were dead so I married someone else.”
Certainty could also be someone motivated to achieve certainty – “I want to be certain that everything will turn out as planned so I’ll make sure everyone follows the instructions; and if that’s not enough I’ll super-glue everything in place” (The Lego Movie).

1 Like

Let me get back to you on this.

1 Like

If it’s like other appreciations, then it works so long as the characteristic element is somewhere in the equation.

I was playing around with Purpose earlier today, and … tricky.

1 Like

This is totally it.

Theoretically, those Elements of Pursuit and Certainty break down into “sub-atomic” particles (a repeat of Knowledge, Ability, Desire, Thought) which is how the model loops back around on itself…

Practically speaking, it’s thinking of EVERYTHING as a Method - energy goes in, energy goes out - Pursu-ing (which is easier to see) and Certainty-ing (which is a bit harder to see). For reference, Writing with Methods helps explain this.

Motivation, Methodology, Evaluation, Purpose are contexts for appreciating the Methods so there is no real difference between Motivation and Purpose anymore than there is a difference between Signpost 1 and Signpost 4, or Potential and Outcome. They’re just reference points for where you’re touching these Storypoints along the dramatic circuit.

All these examples/illustrations here are great - but one thing I don’t think was commented on. The Ability/Desire pairing and Aware/Self-aware pairing between husband and wife where they are not “at odds” with one another–besides making sure you’re not looking at their actual relationship (Relationship Story Throughline), know that there is a positive aspect to diagonal pairs.

A Desire or longing for something and the Ability to facilitate it create a win-win situation. Same with Aware and Self-aware–with one externally focused and the other internally focused there is nothing they can’t do together.

4 Likes

This is literally exactly how these two characters play out! Thanks for clarifying what a positive looks like with dynamic pairs.

This is interesting because there is such a difference between their definitions.

Overnight, writing has shifted how I’ve seen things. The Protagonist is now in Induction and it all leads to a scene where she needs Proof, because the various inductive thoughts have led to her needing to know which one is right.

6 Likes