Does my MC grow by starting or stopping?

Hi everyone,

I’ve been having trouble figuring out if my main character’s growth occurs by something starting or stopping. I can see both perspectives.

My main character’s goal is to achieve happiness. His lack of happiness comes from both unhealthy behaviours and a lack of healthy coping mechanisms. He focuses his energy on relying on others for his happiness. It isn’t until he learns the hard way through his encounters with the contagonist and through lessons from the impact character/protagonist that he realizes that he must change. But the change occurs both in casting aside behaviours that no longer serve him and also in implementing new behaviours he learns from the impact character/protagonist. In the end he realizes that the thing he wanted wouldn’t actually make him the most satisfied and that something else is actually more important/desirable.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me figure out my story. If something in my post is unclear or conflicts with dramatica theory, feel free to point it out.

Have you asked yourself “what is the audience waiting for?” I believe the start and stop aspect of the MC, according to Dramatica Theory, is not an aspect that the MC is waiting for, but what the audience is waiting for. Picture your audience. Will they be waiting for your MC to start a behavior or gain a beneficial trait that they are lacking? Or will the be waiting for the MC to Stop a behavior or lose a trait that is detrimental to them. Yes, both, of course. But one over the other is key to your character… repeat, your character. I don’t know if we can answer the question for you? Or at least without telling us more specifics? But, to take a shot at what you said in your posting, you dwelled more on lack than gain in the description: His lack of happiness comes from both unhealthy behaviors and a lack of healthy coping mechanisms. So that would point to a Start, I believe.

Having the reader as waiting for the MC to start acting in a way that is beneficial makes sense. But I can also see the reader waiting for him to stop behaving foolishly.

Is there any information that would be helpful? I appreciate you talking this out with me.

I think it just comes down to you as the author deciding which one feels right. It boils down to one feeling more important, more right than the other. Consider looking at the software or the section in the Dramatica Theory book (right here on the site) for various start/stop character examples and see which one feels more like your character. I just went to the Dramatica Dictionary and read the definitions of Start and Stop.

Also, just found these via Google Search:

http://storymind.com/content/dramatica/Main%20Character%20Growth.htm

In both cases they ask the same question in different ways to get at it. You just need to find the answer that feels right to you as the author.

Just found another link that might help: http://dramatica.com/dictionary/main-character-growth

Also, Hayley, take note that the Growth: Stop/Start question is one of the last questions the Dramatica creators urge you to answer when storyforming.

Whether in the weekly Dramatica Writers and Users Groups in Burbank, or in classes taught elsewhere, Chris Huntley and other master “Dramaticans” consistently say that “Stop or Start” is often best left to the software to determine. Fact is, one or the other option will “choose itself,” once you’ve made enough other selections regarding stuff you’re more assured about.

Because most Growth for the Main Character (whether s/he Changes or Remains Steadfast) does involve both some Starting and some Stopping, and because this really is mostly about what you want the audience rooting for, you’re typically better off to leave this question unanswered.

Instead of stewing over it, simply move on to answering other storyforming questions you’re more clear about, then wait and see what the software selects for you, either Stop or Start.

Then storyweave so the audience will end up hugely rooting for the MC to Grow, and rooting specifically for whichever Growth option your total selection of appreciations has elevated higher. Hoping that helps…

1 Like

If it’s hard to determine, then leave it for later. Especially if you are new to the ideas in Dramatica. If you stick to the answers that are most obvious, you will get the most bang for your buck.

Start/Stop tends to have the quality of being totally obvious or completely impossible to see at first. (I’m talking from story to story, not from learner to learner.)

In The Producers it jumps out, but in most movies, it just doesn’t.

Bottom line is that it will be easier for you to determine the Domain of the Overall Story and the Domain of the Main Character story, and it’s a better investment of your time anyway. When you do that, you will have forced Start or Stop, and then you can stop wondering. :wink:

1 Like

Keypayton and MWollaeger are correct. Let the software pick it for you.

And I just found these additional links for more info.

This one was from the essential questions tab in the theory section.
http://dramatica.com/questions/what-is-the-main-character-growth

I had this same issue on a story I was working on. I believe I noticed that not choosing character growth left me options of signpost order to choose from. I found I did have a strong feeling about with which signpost i wanted the Overall throughline to start. When I made that choice a few others fell into place and the growth was chosen for me. I stopped questioning myself over it and that was a great relief.

I like it when the software picks story points for me too.

Here’s a Genre Point for a Resolve:Steadfast/Growth:Stop character on a story that I’m playing with now; It happens to be one I’ve shared about on this thread: First attempt at Story Weaving from a Story Form. Looking for feedback. The Story Form was generated by DSE’s brainstorming function. I too felt divided over the Start-Stop aspect; It picked Stop for me, but she felt to me a Start character too: Bernice needs some luck, needs to start winning. To stick with what the generated StoryForm told me, and for my own clarity, I wrote out a Genre Point description that addressed both Start and Stop aspects, ultimately giving more weight to Stop the aspect. This weight felt uncomfortable, unnatural weight at first, but eventually suggested a more interesting storyline.

Growth: Stop: Bernice’s friend, Doris, seems to be having all the luck lately winning at BINGO. While it’s clear Bernice needs some of her own luck to kick in, it seems more so that, in order for Bernice to win, Doris needs to stop winning - or perhaps needs to be stopped.

Stop/Start gets decided by which domains the characters are in, so if you were already able to pick signpost order, Stop/Star would have been locked in.

1 Like

Thank you. I have managed to embarrass myself again. Although I have labored far too long on Stop/Start, that particular “obsession” I was recalling was over the Driver. Action or Decision. Sorry

Again. :-/

Maybe Bernice needs to stop worrying about Doris.@MiggsEye Which might allow her to enjoy life.

Dramatica is best learned through error.

3 Likes

I must be learning a lot, then!

2 Likes

Did I forgot to mention the public shaming? That’s also necessary. :wink:

3 Likes

Sam… I’ve told Bernice that exact thing, but she just won’t listen to me.